🌱 New Heat Shelter + $1.4M Drug Loss + More Airbnbs PHX Parties
Happy Friday neighbours! Let us all catch you up to start today on an enlightened note.
First, today’s weather forecast:
Sunny; windy in the afternoon. High: 97 Low: 70.
Click here to feature your business in this spot.
Here are today’s top stories in Phoenix:
- A new heat shelter that can accommodate up to 200 people has opened in Phoenix. The shelter will be operated by St. Vincent de Paul and will provide housing and employment resources to guests. The City of Phoenix and Maricopa County contributed a total of $4.6 million to the project. (12news.com KPNX)
- On Wednesday, police discovered $1.4 million worth of fentanyl and cocaine in the vehicle of a Phoenix man. The vehicle was searched during a routine traffic stop on State Route 87, just south of Winslow. The suspect has previous convictions for drug-related crimes. (KAFF News)
- Call the fun police or the real police? Airbnb tightens up party restrictions at Phoenix rentals provided by the service for the second consecutive year. According to a company spokesperson, they want to “emphasize safe and responsible travel”. (Phoenix New Times)
From our sponsor:
Today’s newsletter is brought to you in part by Ring, a partner of the Patch brand. Whether you’re working from home or streaming your favorite movies, the new Ring Alarm Pro gives you an internet connection you can rely on, while keeping your home safe.
To learn more about the innovative security system, or to build your own custom system, you can visit Ring here.
Today in and around Phoenix:
- Roberto Fonseca At the Museum of Musical Instruments (8:00 a.m.)
- 100th Anniversary Cow Makeover At Shamrock Farms (9:00 a.m.)
- Arizona Restaurant WeekThrough Phoenix (11:00 a.m.)
- Code Club At the Tolleson Public Library (4:00 p.m.)
- Foodie Fri-Yays! At Tempe Beach Park (5:00 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Arizona Humane Society wants you to meet Juno. The 2-year-old Lab mix is shown playing in the bath in photos at the link. (Facebook)
- This weekend, the City of Phoenix Office of Arts and Culture invites you to the Latino Cultural Festival! The events will take place tonight from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at the Sagrado Galeria and tomorrow from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Maryvale Community Center. (Facebook)
- The Phoenix Public Library invites high school students to Summer Bridge. The 6-week program for incoming freshmen will help prepare them for the next step. (Facebook)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
You are officially informed for today. I’ll join you early tomorrow morning with another update!
— Dominique-Noelle Rafael
About me: Dominique is a self-taught UX/UI designer based in Princeton, NJ. She recently graduated from the University of Maryland last spring with a bachelor’s degree in information science. She is excited to start working on the Patch newsletter project this year!