🌱 Tampa aims to expand housing for the homeless + ‘Friends’ Airbnb
Hello Tampa. I’m here in your inbox today to keep you up to date with everything you need to know about what’s happening in town. Keep scrolling for the scoop…
First, today’s weather forecast:
Cloudy and sunny weather. High: 88 Low: 74.
🏡 Attention Tampa real estate pros! We are now offering an exclusive sponsorship opportunity for an agent interested in attracting local clients and standing out from the competition. Click here to find out more.
Here are the top five stories in Tampa today:
1. If you are a die-hard fan of the hit series “Friends”, you might want to book your next Airbnb at a location in Ybor City which will take you back to the TV show. “Friends” first aired on NBC in 1994 and ran for 10 seasons. (Tampa Patch)
2. The city of Tampa is seeks to add more housing for the homeless. In a few months, 200 additional upgraded cabins will be added with Tampa Hope Catholic Charities. They will be equipped with beds, air conditioning and will be able to withstand strong winds. (ABC Action News)
3. The Tampa Bay Community Foundation has provided over $200,000 in funding to ten local nonprofits to increase the mental well-being of residents. Mental health is a growing concern in our region. (Tampa Patch)
4. McDonald’s employees in Tampa walked out on Monday, part of a nationwide movement to demand living wages, benefits, protections from workplace harassment and abuse, and the right to form a union. (Creative Loafing Tampa)
5. Lakeland Commissioner Michael Dunn was sentenced to three years in prison on Monday for the shooting death of a suspected shoplifter at his store in 2018. In March, Dunn pleaded guilty to manslaughter with a firearm, which is a lesser charge after facing a charge of second degree murder, which carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment. (WTSP)
From our sponsor:
Today’s newsletter is brought to you in part by Ring, a partner of the Patch brand. Whether you’re working from home or streaming your favorite movies, the new Ring Alarm Pro gives you an internet connection you can rely on, while keeping your home safe.
To learn more about the innovative security system, or to build your own custom system, you can visit Ring here.
Today in Tampa:
- Bella Prana Yoga at Armature Works. (9:00 a.m.)
- Trash-Free Waters Cleanup Team Day at Boat Docks Armature Works. (9:15 a.m.)
- Create graphics with Canva at the Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperative. (2 p.m.)
- Worthwich Tampa Drumstick Making Class at Hidden Springs Ale Works. (6 pm)
- On the Sid Lighterand at the Publix Aprons Cooking School in Citrus Park. (6 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Freedom Plasma expands its services in Florida by the opening of a second location in the state in St. Petersburg today. (Tampa Bay Newswire)
- Midtown Tampa’s two-brand Aloft and Element Hotel today announced the appointment of Johnathan Rodriguez as new dual-brand Executive Chef and Director of Food and Beverage. (Tampa Bay Newswire)
- Chanko, a new concept from the old Chop Chop Shop owner, will open in Seminole Heights this week. (Creative Loafing Tampa)
- Hillsborough, Pinellas and Pasco counties are included eight Florida counties that have ‘high’ community levels of COVID-19, according to a Times analysis. (Subscription: Tampa Bay Weather)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
- Retirement Tax Seminar (May 24)
- Breast ultrasound screening comes directly to you! (May 25)
- Tampa Bay/Sarasota/Bradenton JobLink Job Fair – Come get hired locally Thursday! (May 26)
- Land On Your Feet Jazz Festival (May 28)
- Healing concert with Neda Boin for the launch of her American tour (May 29)
- Add your event
Thanks for following and staying informed! See you soon.
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello, my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the culinary blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contributes to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.
Got a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Tampa Daily? Contact me at [email protected]