16 things to do in and around Victoria this long weekend in British Columbia, July 31 – August 2
With this week Heat wave entering and scheduled to last all weekend, August promises to be hot!
If you are looking to get out of your house and enjoy the long weekend, there are plenty of new events announced for you to enjoy!
Here are 16 things to do in and around Victoria this long weekend in British Columbia, July 31 – August 2:
Watch the Pacific FC football game and get vaccinated!
Tonight, the Pacific FC soccer team faces Calgary Cavalry FC in their first game since the pandemic.
Vax Van, Island Health’s COVID-19 mobile vaccination clinic, will also be there to make it easy for anyone (aged 12 or older) to receive their first dose of the vaccine if they haven’t already, without an appointment while attending the match.
- Or: 1089 Langford Drive, Starlight Stadium
- When: 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., Friday July 30
- Tickets: Pacific FC vs Cavalry FC tickets can be purchased here. No appointment required to get vaccinated with Vax Van.
Discover the sandcastles of Cadboro-Gyro
Visit Cadboro-Gyro Park in Saanich to see sandcastle artwork by four incredible artists. Once there, vote to have your favorite entered to win prizes!
Voting closes August 2 at midnight but the sculptures will remain in the park until August 8 at 4 p.m.
Attend an electro-acoustic music festival
Wonder, a free outdoor music festival is taking place this August long weekend right here in Victoria.
Participants have a choice of 5 different locations to enjoy music during the long weekend. Some events will also be broadcast live.
The event is organized by the Garden City Electronic Music Society.
Details can be found below:
Saturday July 31:
- 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., Fisherman’s Wharf Park
- 7:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., West Bridge Plaza
Sunday August 1st:
- 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., Beacon Hill Park Cameron Bandshell
- 7:30 p.m. to 10 p.m., Beacon Hill Park Cameron Bandshell
Monday August 2:
- 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., Banfield Park
Sooke Country Market
Visiting Sooke Country Market is a perfect Saturday morning activity. Browse vendors selling everything from fresh produce, jewelry, gardening supplies, and more.
Check list of sellers.
- Or: John Phillips Memorial Park, 2201 Otter Point Road
- When: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturdays until October 9
Moss Street Market
2021 marks Moss Street Market’s 30th operating season. If you prefer contactless pickup, you can visit the Moss Street Market Online to collect your order.
Check list of sellers.
- Or: 1330 Fairfield Road
- When: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., from Saturday to October
Watch a movie at the drive-in!
No, you have not been transported in time, it is very real! Legacy Drive-In has announced the hours for its open-air theater at Westshore Motorsports Park.
This weekend, learn about Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Mission: Impossible, and Downsizing from the comfort of your car while enjoying food in Cie Burger Westshore
Tickets must be purchased in advance and clients are recommended to arrive 30 minutes before show time to ensure they get the best seat.
- Or: Westshore Motorsports Park (formerly Western Speedway) 2207 Millstream Road
- When: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: 10:00 p.m., Friday July 30, The Wizard of Oz: 9:30 p.m., Sunday August 1
- Price: $ 30 / car. Tickets can be purchased here.
Sidney Street Market
Sidney Street Market is back! After an extended absence from COVID-19, the market is back in a new location at the Mary Winspear Center. While you’re at it, be sure to check out The glory of the bakehouse for delicious brownies.
- Or: Mary Winspear Center, 2243 Beacon Avenue, Sidney
- When: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., every Sunday until October 10
Metchosin farmer’s market
Visit the Metchosin Farmer’s Market for fresh vegetables, bread, jams, salsa, baked goods and more!
- Or: Metchosin Municipal Land, 4450 Happy Valley Road
- When: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Sundays until the end of October
Attend Silent Disco Yoga at Sea Cider
This summer, attend a very unique yoga experience at Sea Cider, a silent disco yoga class. Enjoy a free cider tasting after the class!
- Or: Sea cider farm and cider house, 2487 Mt. Chemin St. Michael, Saanichton
- When: Most Sundays at 12 p.m. and 2 p.m.
- To book: Buy your tickets in line
Try a new workout class
Fitness classes are back!
As restrictions ease, training classes finally reopen and return to normal capacity.
If you’re interested in trying something new but want to try out different workouts before committing to big bucks, we’ve got a list of 15 deals for new members at local fitness studios!
Take a trip to Vancouver Island
British Columbia was recently named Canada’s # 1 Vacation Destination! Which means we are envied by the rest of Canada for our beautiful views, nature and relaxing environment.
Plan a stay on our own island with this list of 10 unique Airbnb getaways here at home!
Admire the view of the Malahat Skywalk
The Malahat Skywalk is open and they saw over 5,000 visitors on their first weekend!
The attraction features an observation deck 250 meters above sea level, a cafe, shops, and an elevated 600-meter TreeWalk and nature trail.
The Skywalk offers panoramic views of Mt. Baker, Finlayson Arm, the Saanich Peninsula and the islands of two countries.
See it Malahat Skywalk website for ticket information.
Visit the animals at Beacon Hill Children’s Farm
After a long hiatus due to COVID-19, the Beacon Hill Children’s Farm has reopened for the summer.
COVID-19 security protocols are in place and the farm will only be visible at that time. The daily public stampede of the goats will not take place either.
Discover an island distillery (or several!)
The creators of the “Islands Passport” have added a brand new addition, the “Distillery Passport”. Passport includes free flight and offers at 37 distilleries across British Columbia, 14 of which are located on Vancouver Island alone!
The Distillery Passport costs $ 47.99 and can be purchased in line.
- Or: Vendors across Vancouver Island, the Gulf Islands and throughout British Columbia!
- When: Available July 21 at 9 a.m. and usable until June 2022.
- To buy: Take yours in line today!
Try some of Victoria’s local favorites
On a local subreddit, r / VictoriaBC, user fyrite asked the audience to share their favorite local foods, the must-haves, the ones people can’t live without.
Victoria delivered, and over 300 recommendations were posted on the thread.
Fyrite took the recommendations and created a mass spreadsheet and map to allow suggestions to be easily accessible and appreciated by all!
Show your appreciation to frontline workers and first responders
On this British Columbia Day, Premier John Horgan calls on all British Colombians to salute the frontline workers and those fighting the wildfires in our province with public cheer.
At 7 p.m. on Monday, August 7, take a moment to bang pots and pans and make some noise outside your home to express your gratitude for all these workers are doing.
- When: Monday August 2 at 7 p.m.
- Or: Anywhere in Victoria, be it your patio, backyard, etc.!