4-year-old boy “turns into a fireball” while playing in the bath

A four-year-old boy was left screaming in pain after his father claimed that an 89p Home Bargains bath foam caught on fire and burned him down.

Oscar Beddard was playing with “moldable children’s bath foam” when part of the product came into contact with a candle nearby.

His father, Jonathan Beddard, claims the bath foam caught fire and created a “fireball” that engulfed Oscar, leaving him badly burned.

READ MORE: Creatures spotted hiding on Merseyside beach are giving people goosebumps

Jonathan, from Newton-le-Willows, told ECHO: “The moss grabbed the candle and then engulfed Oscar in a ball of flame from body to head.

“I had just walked into the store and was literally down the street when I got a call saying ‘Oscar’s bath is on fire, it’s that foam.’

“We just had to keep dabbing him with cold water and towels while he was sitting there screaming in pain.”

Jonathan said Oscar was not left unattended in the bath because his mother, Nicola, was with him when the accident happened.

The Liverpool Echo sends out newsletters on a wide range of topics – including our daily newsletter, which now comes out three times a day.

There are others on current affairs, politics, court news, Knowsley, Wirral and arts and culture, as well as Liverpool FC and Everton FC.

Signing up is free and it only takes you a minute to receive the biggest stories, sent straight to your inbox.

How to sign up for an Echo email update

1) Access our newsletter page dedicated to this link.

2) Put your email in the box where indicated

3) Check as many boxes as you want, for each newsletter you want.

4) Tap Save Changes and that’s it!

The accident left Oscar with horrific burns and he was rushed to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital where he was treated for a week.

Jonathan said: “It affected him mentally, he hasn’t had a bath since, and he’s got more anger since it happened and stuff like that.”

Oscar’s burns healed better than doctors initially expected, meaning he didn’t need a skin graft like the family feared.

Jonathan claims to have purchased the product from the Earlestown branch of Home Bargains.

ECHO has contacted Home Bargains, but the company said it was unable to comment for pending legal reasons.

Jonathan, 31, who works as a construction worker, and Oscar’s mother Nicola, 43, are now in contact with the Fieldfisher law firm about the incident.



Oscar Beddard had to be treated at Alder Hey Children’s Hospital for burns

They claim there was not sufficient warning that the product could ignite, but Jonathan told ECHO there was a “small flammable sign” on the back of the product.

Jonathan now finishes the Manchester 10K race to raise funds for the Ronald McDonald House, which houses the family of Alder Hey patients during their hospital stay, and where Jonathan and Nicola made a short stay when Oscar was at the hospital.

You can donate to Jonathan’s charity run here.

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and updates from ECHO Liverpool by signing up here

Comments are closed.