Airbnb predicts the most popular travel destinations and adventures of 2018
As travelers plan getaways for 2018, Airbnb analyzed customer booking data for the first half of 2018 to reveal the next most important travel destinations and adventures. It’s worth a look – with highlights of their findings here. Some are quirky, but all are interesting:
Most popular cities:
Major metropolitan cities like Paris, New York, and London continue to be mainstays on the list of most booked cities. Meanwhile, popular vacation spots like Lisbon and the Miami area are becoming the most booked cities globally for Airbnb travelers.
Beyond the standard urban apartment, non-traditional homes are seeing the biggest increases over last year. Natural lodges and ryokans (traditional Japanese inns) are seeing the most bookings, showing that travelers are increasingly drawn to rustic and unique homes.
Trending Destination Highlights:
With the excitement generated by the 2018 Winter Games, Gangneung, Korea tops the list of trending destinations based on the increase in bookings compared to last year. When analyzing destinations that doubled, tripled or more bookings compared to 2017, Airbnb noticed a few trends among trending destinations:
- In the United States, Midwest cities like Indianapolis, IN (256%) and Columbus, OH (254%) are seeing some of the fastest growth, driven by a booming downtown area with new restaurants, nightlife and the arts local. Other high-growth destinations include cities with plenty of wilderness accommodations near popular national parks, such as Whitefish, MT (242%).
- In North America, destinations within driving distance of the Canadian Rockies are attracting increasing numbers of visitors. These include downtown Edmonton (284%), as well as Fernie (179%) and Kelowna (170%) – two mountain towns that offer year-round outdoor activities, from cross-country skiing to fly fishing and wine tasting.
- In South America, More and more travelers are flocking to oceanside communities along Brazil’s vast coast, with at least a dozen Brazilian beach towns doubling or more in bookings. Beyond the big cities of Rio and São Paulo, destinations like Matinhos (209%), Guarapari (205%) and Ubatuba (181%) attract travelers to miles of beaches and less urban bustle.
- In Asiathe trend of large cities like Guangzhou (190%) is consistent with strong overall growth in China, one of the fastest growing countries. Neighboring Vietnam, a fast-growing vacation destination for regional and global travelers, is seeing an increase in bookings in the cities of Hanoi (212%) and Da Nang (255%), which combine waterfronts and centuries-old architecture with cosmopolitan amenities.
- In Europe, the highest peaks are in the Mediterranean enclaves, led by the Cypriot towns of Paphos (234%) and Gazimagusa (234%), popular for their ancient ruins and sparkling rocky beaches. Bournemouth (353%), a seaside resort along the south coast of England, is also seeing the second highest spike in bookings since last year. An unusually warm microclimate, spectacular seascapes and a bustling nightlife of clubs and casinos make Bournemouth a tempting destination this year.
- Gangneung, Korea – 2175%
- Bournemouth, UK – 353%
- Edmonton, Canada – 284%
- Indianapolis, Indiana – 256%
- Da Nang, Vietnam – 255%
- Columbus, Ohio – 254%
- Gazimagusa, Cyprus – 234%
- Bilbao, Spain – 234%
- Hanoi, Vietnam – 212%
- Matinhos, Brazil – 209%
- Cardiff, UK – 206%
- Guarapari, Brazil – 205%
- Minneapolis, MN – 193%
- Oita, Japan – 190%
- Dunedin, New Zealand – 185%
- Mar del Plata, Argentina – 181%
- Fernie, Canada – 179%
- Zagreb, Croatia – 175%
- Mykonos, Greece – 173%
- Mazatlan, Mexico – 169%
Most popular experiences:
Food and drink remains the most popular experience category, representing 29% of total Experience bookings. Local culinary workshops, artisan food and cocktail tastings, and home-cooked dinners are the biggest draws for experience guests, but nature (9%) and music (9%) drive it of some of the most popular booking experiences of 2018. Airbnb predicts that demand for under-the-radar outdoor excursions and live concerts will increase next year.
Areas affected by natural disasters:
Surprisingly, areas affected by recent natural disasters are rebounding quickly, with bookings for Miami up 60% over the same period last year, and bookings for Napa and California Wine Country are also up.
How America ate in 2017:
And, to understand Americans’ eating habits, Airbnb and Resy analyzed data from their partnership to determine which cities brunch the most, are early risers, and more. Key discoveries based on reservations:
- Detroit and San Diego are the toughest brunches, with 18% and 17%, respectively, booking during brunch
- San Francisco and Los Angeles are early risers, with 12% and 11% of guests ordering breakfast before 10 a.m.
- Miami and San Diego eat last, with 14% and 12% of diners booking for 9:30 p.m. or later