Barrhead: Ben McCulloch faces lengthy prison sentence

A BARRHEAD thug who stabbed his friend to death faces a long prison sentence.

Ben McCulloch, 27, stabbed Stephen Quigley, 26, in the head at his home on March 23 last year.

He then drove Stephen to a closed section of the Royal Alexandra Hospital, six minutes from the accident and emergency department, and left him there.

The disoriented victim attempted to walk to A&E for help, but was found dead outside a day room the following morning.

Glasgow High Court heard Neilston’s man Stephen would have survived had he received immediate medical treatment.

McCulloch, who was originally charged with murder, today admitted a lesser offense of culpable homicide.

The court heard the two friends were drinking at McCulloch’s flat in Barrhead on the day of the incident.

They were in good spirits as they uploaded music videos to social media.

Prosecutor Angela Gray told the court: “Later that afternoon, McCulloch and Mr Quigley were involved in an altercation.

“Meanwhile, McCulloch took control of the knife and struck Mr. Quigley, striking him in the head, causing the extensively incised wound on the right side of his head.”

The weapon was never found.

Disqualified driver McCulloch dropped off his bleeding victim at Paisley Hospital at 5.25pm.

Miss Gray added: ‘The A&E is about a six minute walk from where Mr Quigley was dropped off by McCulloch.

Stephen was seen as “unsteady on his feet” when spotted on CCTV.

He was found dead by nursing staff at 7 a.m. the following morning.

It was determined that the injury was caused by a sharp weapon and that moderate force was used.

Miss Gray added: “It would have resulted in significant blood loss and this traumatic injury, along with significant drug and alcohol intoxication, is considered the cause of death.

“The head injury would have been life-sustaining if prompt medical attention had been provided.”

McCulloch was arrested more than two weeks later after being found at an Airbnb property in Newcastle.

Ian Duguid QC, defending, told the court: “He knows that the fact that his friend died in such circumstances is a matter of great difficulty for his family and he wishes to express his apologies.

“He chose to drop him off at the hospital, near the Scottish ambulance headquarters.

“His position was that he didn’t want to go to A&E and be involved in his admission and giving details of his injury in the hospital.”

The sentence has been postponed until next month so that substantive reports can be prepared.

Judge Lord Mulholland told McCulloch: “Don’t kid yourself that you are responsible for the death of this man and you accept that you inflicted a significant injury on this man with a knife.

“You can expect a long prison term.”

Comments are closed.