Cristiano Ronaldo to extend stay at six-bedroom Madeira mansion after Juventus were forced to cancel recall – The Irish Sun
CRISTIANO RONALDO is expected to stay in Madeira after Italy extended its coronavirus lockdown.
Juventus had planned a return to training after the players completed a 14-day home quarantine following a recall on Monday.
⚠️ Read our live blog on coronavirus in sport for the latest news and updates
But the idea was reportedly scrapped after Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte extended the national coronavirus lockdown until May 3.
Portuguese media claim that the 35-year-old striker will now stay on his home island for the foreseeable future.
He is expected to stay in the £3,500-a-week rented six-bed mansion he recently moved into near the fishing village of Canical with his partner Georgina Rodriguez and four children.
They left behind a seven-storey apartment in Madeira’s capital, Funchal, which Ronaldo bought last year for the villa with a garden overlooking the Atlantic Ocean.
Ironically, it emerged on Saturday that his boyhood club CD Nacional would become the first team from Portugal to return to training.
Club president Rui Alves has confirmed night training sessions will resume at the stadium where the Juventus star was pictured training earlier this week.
He said players would be separated in different parts of the pitch in line with social distancing recommendations.
Cristiano’s training session at CD Nacional, his second-tier club before signing for Sporting Lisbon ahead of his arrival at Old Trafford, led to Madeira health chief Pedro Ramos being questioned during a press conference.
He said the player had no special permission to train, but insisted he believed he had stayed within local coronavirus lockdown rules by using his time to exercise physical.
Ronaldo has been in Madeira since March 9 with his family.
He returned to the island before Serie A football was suspended after his mother Dolores Aveiro, 65, suffered a stroke.
CORONAVIRUS CRISIS – BE IN THE KNOW
Get the latest coronavirus news, facts and figures from around the world – plus essential advice for you and your family.
To receive our Covid-19 newsletter in your inbox every tea time, sign up here.
To follow us on Facebook, all you have to do is “Like” our Coronavirus page.
Cristiano Ronaldo latest news
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner made a first 24-hour trip to his home island after his March 3 stroke to see her in hospital before returning with his four children and Georgina just under a week later.
Her mother updated fans on her recovery with a series of photos on social media showing her relaxing at home after being discharged from a private hospital in Funchal.
On Friday, she posed for a selfie photo in a colorful dress on the balcony of the apartment building where her footballer son self-isolated before moving into his rented house “off the beaten track”.
Donate Now to The Sun’s NHS Appeal
Britain’s four million NHS workers are on the front line in the battle against coronavirus.
But while they’re helping save lives, who’s there to help?
The Sun has appealed to raise £1 MILLION for NHS workers.
The Who Cares Wins appeal aims to provide vital support to staff in times of need.
We’ve partnered with NHS Charities Together in their urgent Covid-19 appeal to ensure the money gets to exactly who needs it.
The Sun is donating £50,000 and we would like YOU to help us raise a million pounds, to help them.
No matter how little you can spare, please donate today here