Father disappeared and two small sons died; Missouri State Highway Patrol Identifies Three, Begins Death Investigation | KSNF / KODE
Greene County Sheriff’s Office says there have been multiple attempts to issue an Amber Alert, but the case did not meet the criteria to issue an
BENTON COUNTY, Missouri – Authorities say a Springfield-area dad who was going through a separation from his wife told casino workers in Miami, Oklahoma on Wednesday, Feb. 24, he was going to make a fresh start with his children by removing 600 $ from his debit card there.
A few days later, the bodies of the father and the two boys are found in Benton County, Missouri, north of Springfield.
“We are saddened to announce that the identities of bodies located in rural Benton County have been identified as: Kaiden Peak, 4 years old; Mayson Peak, 3 years old; & Darrell Peak, 40.
They had not been seen or heard from since Friday. The Greene County Sheriff’s Office said that although several attempts to issue a Amber Alert had been completed, the case did not meet the criteria for issuance.
Child custody was a civil matter between a separated husband and wife. However, detectives from the Greene County Sheriff’s Office decided to pursue criminal charges for the arrest of father, Darrell Peak, on Monday, Sheriff Jim Arnott said: “Dozens of leads were generated and despite the family’s belief that Darrell would not harm his children, February 28. Detectives decided to lay criminal charges for Darrell’s arrest, hoping it would generate further advice and leads. “
“It is with great sadness that the Greene County Sheriff’s Office announces a very tragic end to the missing person investigation involving Darrell, Mayson and Kaiden Peak. Tonight, the three men were discovered dead in Benton County, not far from where they were last seen and contacted by law enforcement in the Warsaw area, 16 hours before the reporting missing persons to the Greene County Sheriff’s Office.
The Greene County Sheriff’s Department provided a timeline of events leading up to the discovery of the father and sons:
- Wednesday, February 24
- According to court documents, authorities learned on February 27 that on February 24, Darrell was seen at a casino in Miami, Oklahoma, withdrawing $ 600 from his debit card saying he and his children were going to take a new start.
- Thursday February 25
- Around 4 p.m. – Darrell was armed with a pistol and seen walking away with the children. He was known to wear regularly.
- Around 5:30 p.m. – A Missouri State Highway Patrol (MSHP) soldier who pulled over to check on Darrell’s broken down vehicle contacted the sheriff’s office. Darrell refused help.
- At approximately 5:52 pm, a Benton County MP reported seeing a man and two children walking along Highway 65. When the deputy turned to speak to the father and sons, she was unable to. find them.
- Around 7:00 p.m. – MSHP sent a soldier to the area to check on a man walking with two children, but the soldier could not find them.
- Friday February 26
- Around 10:30 a.m. – The family contacted the Greene County Sheriff’s Office to file a missing person report.
- At approximately 12:58 p.m. – a statewide BOLO alert was sent for the three missing persons
- Around 1:01 p.m. – Information on missing persons entered into the system
- At approximately 1:24 p.m., MSHP soldiers and Benton County MPs responded and began searching for the father and sons where they were last seen.
- Monday March 1
- The bodies were found together inside a structure.
For more information, please contact the Benton County Sheriff’s Office and the Missouri State Highway Patrol, which is investigating the death in the Warsaw area.