Glasgow walking tours: major lost and surviving 19th century sites at the center of new online event

A team of heritage experts handpicked a selection of lost and surviving 19th century Glasgow architectural sites as the primary focus of a pair of virtual walking tours.

As part of the recently launched Gallus Glasgow project, which uses the bird’s-eye view map data of the city of Thomas Sulman in 1864, historians from the Glasgow City Heritage Trust have created downloadable applications that explore some of Glasgow’s key buildings from this era.

Sulman’s extraordinary and highly detailed map was created for an edition of the Illustrated London News and is said to have been reconstructed using sketches from a hot air balloon.

Sign up for Glasgow Live newslettersfor more tracks straight to your inbox

Gallus Glasgow has launched two free online tours, each with a 10-stop route of lost and surviving sites covering the city center, including the ‘lost village’ of Grahamston, which was washed away during the creation of Central Station in the 1870s, and the world’s oldest surviving music hall, the Britannia Panopticon.

From Grahamston, the Lost Tour travels through Argyle Street to St Enoch Square, where the magnificent St Enoch Church once stood.

An ecclesiastical masterpiece, St. Enoch’s Church was a focal point of the square until 1925, when it was demolished to make way for a new bus terminus and parking.



The ‘lost village’ of Grahamston, which was almost completely wiped out by the creation of the central station, is included in the virtual tour. Photo © Thomas Nugent (cc-by-sa / 2.0)

The lost tour also takes us to College Street Central Fire Station and Rottenrow’s infamous Lock Hospital for women with venereal disease, before ending at Duke Street Prison.

The Survivor Locations app features well-known city landmarks that would have been familiar to the people of Glasgow that cartographer Thomas Sulman encountered.

Buildings on this trail include the Grant Arms at Argyle Street – part of the original fabric of the old village of Grahamston, and the Britannia Panopticon Music Hall, which was built in 1857 and is now the oldest music hall in the world.

Both apps include detailed historical information and markers to give us a clear idea of ​​the location of each site.

You can access the applications here.

Comments are closed.