Introducing Airbnb 2021: Over 100 Upgrades Across Our Service For Thai Hosts And Guests
Thais are turning to Airbnb for affordable and convenient travel for families, and using the income earned from accommodation to stay afloat and tackle the cost of living during the pandemic.
Bangkok, Thailand – Inspired by the major change in the way people travel in Thailand and the world, Airbnb introduced over 100 upgrades to fine tune and improve every aspect of its service, from the website and platform app to community support and policies. The Airbnb 2021 release will add features to give Thai customers even more flexibility when planning their trip and to make it easier for anyone in Thailand to become a host.
The updates come as data from Airbnb reveals Thais are turning to Airbnb for affordable and convenient travel for families, and using the income earned from accommodation to stay afloat and fight the cost of life during the pandemic.
- Results from a recent YouGov * survey show that travel with immediate family is the number one reason for domestic travel among Thais, with nature retreats and quick 1-3 day getaways likely to gain traction this year. .
- Notably, a survey ** conducted by Airbnb of Thai guests and hosts in 2020 reveals that the top two reasons customers choose to stay with Airbnb are convenient location and affordability.
- In the same survey, a third of Airbnb Stays hosts said the money earned from Airbnb provided them with a significant additional source of income. 80% of experience hosts in Thailand consider experience accommodation their primary occupation, with income generated from accommodation accounting for around one-third of their total household income.
“We are seeing three fundamental changes in travel as people become less attached and more flexible,” noted Brian chesky, co-founder and CEO of Airbnb. “People can travel anytime, they travel more places and they stay longer. We believe the lines between living, working and traveling are blurring, and with this major upgrade we are making it easier for people to integrate travel into their lives and new hosts to add even more homes to include. Choose.
Over 100 upgrades across the entire Airbnb experience for travelers and hosts
Make it easy for guests
With flexibility at the heart of a new, improved browsing and booking experience, Airbnb today introduces three new ways to search on the platform: Flexible Dates, Flexible Connections, and Flexible Destinations.
The flexible dates, which Airbnb started rolling out in February, make it easy to find the best places to stay if you’re flexible when you go. Rather than searching with fixed dates, you can search for a weekend getaway, a week’s vacation, or even a month’s stay. Since the tool’s launch, the platform has already seen more than 100 million searches using it.
Flexible Matching offers a wider selection of ad results when searching for accommodation by showing homes just outside of your search parameters. This way you never miss a great stay that falls just outside of what was specified in a search, for example, that beach villa in Phuket which costs THB 3,200 per night, rather than the maximum setting. of 3000 THB in your search.
Flexible destinations are a new way of planning travel when finding a unique place to stay is more important to you than traveling to a specific destination. It helps you discover amazing properties in places you might not have thought of researching and adapts to your location. For example, it surfaces in forest lodges in Thailand, ryokans in Japan or castles in Spain. From treehouses to boats, on Airbnb you can choose from over 170,000 unique homes and the number of unique ad searches has increased by 94% so far in 2021 compared to the same period in 2019 .
We’re also dramatically improving our search capabilities to help people find their perfect place to stay, from our extensive database of properties. New filters will adapt to the season or location and allow people to search for homes near points of interest, such as national parks, or with very specific attributes such as whether the property has a view. on the ocean.
Additional upgrades for guests include:
- Faster Checkout Process – We’ve reduced the number of steps for new customers to confirm their first booking.
- Arrival guide – Easy access to all the useful information a customer needs (itinerary, door codes, Wifi, etc.) before check-in.
- Updated Reviews – Guests now have a more comprehensive range, from reviews to compliments, to rate their stay.
- Clearer Cancellations – Updated cancellation policies increase clarity for guests and hosts.
Make it easy for hosts
Today, Airbnb makes Hosting even easier with an all-new onboarding process that’s been streamlined from dozens of steps to just 10, supported by the latest technology. Computer vision deep learning models automatically suggest a photo layout based on their guest’s appeal, while smart text suggestions help hosts create the best title and description for their listing . Streamlining and simplifying the process will help anyone looking to accommodate and enjoy the next wave of onboard travel quickly to secure their first booking. In fact, in Q1 2021, for new listings activated and booked, 50% received a booking request within four days of activation. In fact, in Thailand, over a third (38%) of local hosts have actively reinvested their accommodation income to beautify and improve their homes, as they look forward to welcoming more national guests in the long term ** *.
Additional upgrades for hosts include:
- All-New Today Tab – A new centralized reception base to make it easier for hosts to manage reservations and daily tasks. Here, they’ll see new booking requests, upcoming bookings as well as current guest details and quick links to popular host tools.
- New Accommodation Welcome Page – A redesigned hub for new hosts with helpful articles and testimonials as well as an improved tool to estimate potential accommodation revenue based on rates per night and occupancy in their immediate region.
- Inbox enhancements – Messages now load up to 10x faster and new features include personalized quick replies that allow hosts to respond to guest frequently asked questions with one click, and scheduled messages that automate the sending of reminders, such as payment instructions.
- Dedicated Superhost Support – A dedicated support team for Superhosts and Host Community Leaders, giving our most experienced Hosts priority access to our most experienced support agents.
World class service
We are also improving our community support by doubling the number of support agents and expanding our support coverage from 11 to 42 languages. A completely redesigned Help Center will be easier to navigate by offering more personalized assistance to hosts and guests.
The blur of travel and life
Many of these upgrades were inspired by a comprehensive analysis of Airbnb booking data and consumer studies that reveal how the pandemic has fundamentally changed travel. With 4 million hosts in more than 220 countries and regions and over 900 million traveler arrivals, Airbnb is in a unique position to see how travel evolves. The analysis reveals three key trends:
- Partly because of remote working trends, people are less tied down and more flexible about when they can travel. Since the start of this year, Airbnb has recorded over 200 million flexible date searches, of which 100 million have used our new flexible dates tool.
- Trips are spread to a much wider range of destinations. In the 12 months ending April 30, 2021, Airbnb had bookings in 94,000 cities.
- People are traveling longer. The share of stays of 28 days or more on Airbnb increased from 14% of overnight stays booked in 2019 to 24% in Q1 2021 ***.
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to 4 million hosts that have welcomed over 900 million guest arrivals in nearly every country in the world. Every day, the Hosts offer unique stays and Unique Experiences that allow customers to discover the world in a more authentic and connected way.
* Survey conducted by YouGov between April 28 and May 18, 2021 with a sample of more than 1000 people.
** Survey from February 1, 2021 to March 3, 2021 for Homes hosts who have organized a trip in 2020, or Homes guests who have taken a trip in 2020.
*** Nights reserved before cancellation and modifications.