Last Minute Travel Guide to Celebrate Free Admission for the National Park Service’s 105th Anniversary

sara_winter / Getty Images / iStockphoto

This year marks the 105th anniversary of the National Park Service and to celebrate this event, entrance fees are waived for visitors on August 25. There are over 400 national parks in the United States, providing a great opportunity to get out and enjoy the fresh air.

See: You are not a fan of the campsite? National parks with affordable hotels nearby
Find out: your taxes pay for these national parks, go visit them!

There are currently 108 paid national parks across the country, ranging from $ 5 per person to $ 35 per vehicle. These fees are used to help offset the costs of operating this park. At least 80% of the money stays in the park where it is collected, and the remaining 20% ​​is used for the benefit of parks which do not charge a fee.

You can plan your visit to a local park or explore in-park programs or virtual events hosted by parks across the country. While the entrance fee is waived, it does not include amenities or user fees for activities such as camping, boat launches, transportation, or special tours.

To enjoy this day free of charge, all you have to do is show up, except in places where reservations are required. To combat overcrowding, USA Today reported that the National Park Service is requiring reservations at some of its most popular destinations, including Yosemite National Park and Glacier National Park’s Going-to-the-Sun Route. Reservations can be made at

See: 75 Birthday Gifts: Free Tips for 2021
Find: 25 freebies to ask for when buying a new car

Can’t come on August 25? The park service offers free admission to veterans, Gold Star families, US citizens, and permanent residents with permanent disabilities year-round. Fourth and fifth graders and their families can also get a one-year pass through the Every Kid Outdoors program.

The Home Office said some parks may have restrictions and limited services, USA Today reported, and all sites may not be open due to COVID-19 mitigation measures.

More from GOBankingTaux

This article originally appeared on Last Minute Travel Guide to Celebrate Free Admission for the National Park Service’s 105th Anniversary

Comments are closed.