My husband died after a dip in a ‘contaminated Airbnb hot tub’ – it ruined our family but they refuse to accept blame

A DISTRAUGH wife is taking action against Airbnb for claiming her husband died after diving into a contaminated hot tub.

Sandra Bermingham, 54, is planning to sue the US holiday home booking site for £1.2million after her husband Paul died just days after they returned from vacation.

3

Paul Bermingham died just two weeks after returning from vacationCredit: Facebook
His wife thinks the hot tub hasn't been properly maintained

3

His wife thinks the hot tub hasn’t been properly maintainedCredit: Air B&B
Sandra, her two children, Darragh and Kate, and Paul traveled to Malta

3

Sandra, her two children, Darragh and Kate, and Paul traveled to MaltaCredit: Facebook

Sandra, Paul and their two children Darragh, 10, and Kate, 12, used the Airbnb website to book a two-week vacation in Gozo, Malta, in 2016.

Their vacation home on the island had a spa pool which was mainly used by children, MailOnline reports.

Paul only jumped in the hot tub for a few seconds because the water was too cold.

Sandra said: “Paul only went in the hot tub once on New Years Eve and he was in the water for a few seconds. The bacteria is airborne and I think was infected shortly after arriving at the farm.”

Sick words from a Russian who asked me if I wanted a
POW electrocuted and forced to listen to Abba for 24 hours in torture sessions

After returning home to Islington, north London, Paul fell ill and was rushed to hospital in Whittington.

He was put into an artificial coma but sadly died two weeks after returning home.

Sandra said: “The hospital did everything they could but couldn’t save him. We were completely distraught that he could be taken from us.”

His death was ruled by a coroner as Legionella pneumonia.

Legionnaires’ disease is a serious lung infection caused by Legionella bacteria.

It is usually spread by inhaling small droplets of infected water, but it cannot be passed from person to person.

Sandra said: “I don’t think the hot tub had been properly maintained and hadn’t been used for some time prior to our arrival.”

Over the next six years, the grieving widow fought for compensation.

The mum said: “They haven’t shown any following or concern for people who rent out homes through their site.

“All they care about is making money from bookings. It left me speechless how ruthless and indifferent they are.

What is Legionnaire’s disease?

Legionnaires’ disease is a serious lung infection caused by Legionella bacteria.

It is usually spread by inhaling small droplets of infected water, but it cannot be passed from person to person.

There may be small, harmless amounts of bacteria in water sources like ponds and rivers.

But if it gets into an environment where it can grow, like an air conditioning system, it will multiply rapidly.

In July 2018, scientists warned those who use water harvesters to wash their cars and water their gardens that they risk exposing themselves to Legionella bacteria.

“The holidays were supposed to be a break we could all enjoy, but it ruined our family life.”

The Maltese lawyer representing Ms Bermingham, Peter Fenench, said she had to to collect money to continue its fight against Airbnb.

Sandra said: “Airbnb did not investigate this matter and never offered any support to my family. No compensation was awarded and I am on my own to seek justice for what happened.

“Since I will not give up, I need funding for legal proceedings to fight against Airbnb in Malta for compensation.

“I want the world to know how Airbnb works, making tons of money on our backs and giving up responsibility when things go horribly wrong at the homes they make their billions from.”

An Airbnb spokesperson said: “We were heartbroken to learn of this tragic incident at the time and our thoughts remain with the Bermingham family following such an unimaginable loss. We remain in contact with representatives of family about it.

We are furious because our school LOCKS the toilets during lessons - it's crazy
I'm average height and have been on a huge M&S trip…the flattering items curvy girls need

“The safety of our community is a priority and with over one billion guest arrivals in Airbnb listings to date, isolated incidents are exceptionally rare.”

Sandra threw a GoFundMe page to help pay his family’s legal fees.

Comments are closed.