News summary: Slovaks bid farewell to ice hockey championship
The Slovak team is among the best eight in the world after eight years. Beware of bears. Double digit positive PCR tests before the weekend.
Good afternoon. This is the Friday, June 4, 2021 edition of Today in Slovakia. Discover the news of the day in less than 5 minutes.
Check out Spectacular Slovakia for weekend reading tips. This week Peter Dlhopolec writes on a tank road apart from Martin, a new statue in Sabinov , and Bratislava as the cheapest city for retirees.
Slovakian ice hockey team among the top eight
Slovakian ice hockey team in their last Ice Hockey World Championship game in Latvia in 2021. (Source: TASR)
Slovakia finished eighth at the Ice Hockey World Championship in Riga, Latvia. Thursday’s game against Team USA was Slovakia’s first time in the quarter-finals since 2013.
The revived Slovakian dream of championship medals ended abruptly in the first half of the game when the USA team scored three goals and left little room for Slovak players to react, the Sme daily reported.
After Slovakia lost 1: 6 to the United States, they did not qualify for the medal fight; he placed 9th in the IIHF overall standings.
Watch out for bears
(Source: Juraj Žiak)
One bear was seen in fields near Trnava, while another with his cubs even walked among tourists in the popular Hrebienok hiking spot in the High Tatras. In another incident at the same location, a bear climbed onto the roof of a hotel and another was seen near the underground parking lots of nearby Starý Smokovec. In another case, a tourist was attacked while walking along a popular route leading to Šútovský waterfall.
It all happened less than a month after environmentalists were forced to shoot a bear in the High Tatras.
The case has drawn attention to what experts say is increasingly frequent contact between humans and bears in Slovakia.
News about the coronavirus and vaccination
- The number of people newly diagnosed positive for Covid with PCR tests is in double digits before the weekend. Of the 5,340 tests performed by the laboratories, 94 were positive. In addition, 118 people have been diagnosed positive for Covid using antigen tests. For more information, see our Covid statistics.
- Seven more deaths have been confirmed, bringing the death toll to 12,382.
- With the 13,202 new first-dose jabs, Slovakia now has 1,790,680 people with at least one dose of the Covid vaccine.
- The Ministry of Education does not recommend organizing more than one day of school trips. (TASR)
Today in Slovakia the news summary is a free service for our readers. If you want to support us, become a subscriber and get access to more detailed news and interesting reports from Slovakia.
Featured story for today
Former Slovak Prime Minister Mikuláš Dzurinda heads the Wilfried Martens Center for European Studies. (Source: Jozef Jakubco / Sme)
The European Union is at a crossroads. If all goes in the right direction, he could become a global player within ten years, says former Slovak Prime Minister Mikuláš Dzurinda, who currently heads the Wilfried Martens Center for European Studies, the official think tank of the European People’s Party. , in an interview. with the Sme daily now available in English.
He warns that otherwise the Union will become less and less important on the world stage, as can now be seen in the actions of Russian and Turkish officials against representatives of European institutions.
In other news
- Travelers to Austria have had problems filling out the travel authorization form required to enter the country.
- Along with Police Inspectorate Director Adrian Szabo who was arrested on Thursday, former NAKA Financial Police Chief Bernard Slobodník and former NAKA Officer Marián Kučerka were charged with corruption and d abuse of power as civil servants. (TASR)
- More than 25% of Slovaks do not plan a summer vacation this year due to the pandemic and the economic crisis, while 18.4% of those polled in the survey conducted by Nielsen Admosphere for the SITA news wire have said they were undecided about their vacation plans. (SITA)
Don’t miss Spectator.sk today
If you have any suggestions on how this news overview can be improved, you can contact us at é[email protected]
4. June 2021 at 14:11 | Michaela terenzani