NSW Delays Airbnb-Style Rental Rules After Concerns Rushed | Lodging

The NSW government’s decision to delay the implementation of new rules governing Airbnb-style rentals has been welcomed by home-sharing platforms.

The new rules – which include extending the 180-day cap on the use of empty properties for short-term rentals in regional areas – were due to go into effect on July 30, but the start date has been pushed back by three. month to November 1.

Planning Minister Rob Stokes said the decision was made after key stakeholders raised concerns about the timing and implementation of the rules.

“In the interest of conciliation and to give the policy the best chance for success, we are happy to extend the implementation date until November 1, which should give the industry enough time to s ‘adapt,’ he said.

Stokes said the industry should have been prepared for the implementation of the new rules.

“I maintain that the introduction of the policy should come as no surprise as we have been working with the industry and boards on short-term rental housing since 2017.”

Stayz, a short-term rental company controlled by online travel booking giant Expedia, had asked for six months to allow more time for consultation and testing, accusing the government of “rushing” the changes.

On Wednesday, the company welcomed the short delay, calling on the government to “use the extra time it has allowed itself to work with industry to undertake proper testing and testing of the new registry of all announcements of short-term rental “.

The company has previously described the rollout of the new policy as a “slow moving wreck,” warning that it will hit “NSW’s fragile tourist economy.”

Under the new framework, a 180-day cap on the use of empty properties for Airbnb-style short-term rentals, which is already in place in Sydney, would be extended to a number of coastal and regional areas.

The framework would allow people living in an apartment or house to rent out part of their accommodation, such as a spare bedroom, 365 days a year.

It would also introduce a code of conduct for hosts, guests, online booking platforms and agents, as well as minimum fire safety standards.

The delay comes just days after the planning department announced it would implement the new rules by the end of July.

The ministry’s assistant planning and evaluation secretary, Marcus Ray, said on Friday that the new framework was being rolled out after “extensive consultations with the community and the vacation rental industry.”

“We are proud to finally have a clear set of rules that support the $ 30 billion a year industry while protecting the rights of hosts, guests and neighbors,” he said.

The ministry received more than 2,000 submissions in response to the initial framework and said it had worked with industry boards and organizations to resolve “the complex issues that have been raised.”

Local councils argued that the policy would exacerbate a housing affordability crisis, especially in regional areas.

NSW Local Government President Linda Scott said the delay was a “real victory”.

“The councils are best positioned to balance the pressures of housing affordability and local tourism economies, and we hope Minister Stokes recognizes this in any future changes,” she said.

Scott said landlords would not put their properties on long-term rental if short-term rent proved to be more profitable throughout the year.

“If there are no limits, landlords who think they can earn more in the short-term rental market will not put their property on the regular rental market,” she said.

“These concerns have only intensified in light of Covid-19, and this policy, if continued as is, would have hampered efforts to strengthen the affordable housing market.”

Comments are closed.