Texas man arrested 11 days after alley murder

Eleven days after a Texas man shot a person in his driveway and told a 911 dispatcher “I just killed a guy,” police arrested him in the murder, authorities said and an affidavit in ‘arrest.

Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office Friday noted that he had obtained an arrest warrant on October 21 for the Texas man, Terry Turner, 65, in the murder of Adil Dghoughi, 31. Mr Turner was arrested on Friday after surrendering and being released on bail, records show.

A grand jury decides whether to indict Mr. Turner, Larry D. Bloomquist, his lawyer, said in a telephone interview on Tuesday. “We believe it was in self-defense, in defense of his property,” Bloomquist said. “And at this point it’s a tragic event for everyone.”

“We are not going to judge the case in the press,” he added.

But Mr Dghoughi’s family, friends and supporters are still grappling with why it took 11 days for police to arrest Mr Turner, who told a 911 dispatcher he shot a man sitting in a car. car in its driveway, according to the affidavit. The shooting, which took place in Martindale, a town about 30 miles south of Austin, also drew attention to the laws on self-defense, which give residents the right to use force to protect themselves or their property.

When calling 911, Mr. Turner told police that Mr. Dghoughi had “pointed a gun at him”, according to the affidavit.

No firearms were found in the car or in Mr Dghoughi’s possession, according to the document.

“This is a case about someone who has had every chance to avoid conflict and not cause the death of an innocent young man, and he has chosen to do just the opposite,” he said. said Mehdi Cherkaoui, lawyer and spokesperson for Mr. Dghoughi’s family. in an interview on Tuesday.

He said the 11-day gap between the shooting and Mr. Turner’s arrest was “the most scandalous thing in this case” after the shooting itself. “Usually the police make arrests first and then ask questions, especially in a murder case,” Cherkaoui said. “I can only speculate that maybe the officers showed up at the scene and to some extent or another believed his story.”

The sheriff’s office, which did not respond to questions emailed about the case on Tuesday, said in its statement last week that detectives had “worked tirelessly on this case since the incident,” and conducted “several interviews and executed several search warrants” during the investigation.

As his family raised awareness and more details emerged, Mr Dghoughi’s shooting gained notoriety in the state, with coverage in local and national media. Vigils were held last weekend in Austin in front of the Capitol, and another event is scheduled for October 30 in Dallas, where President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in 1963.

Some of the events were organized by the Council on American-Islamic Relations, which works with Mr. Dghoughi’s family. Faizan Syed, executive director of CAIR in Austin and Dallas-Fort Worth, said authorities initially gave the family little information beyond an Oct. 11 statement on the shooting.

In this statement, the sheriff’s office said an “owner was confronted with a suspicious vehicle parked outside the residence” and the shooter was “cooperative.” He said a man with gunshot wounds had been “taken to hospital with serious life-threatening injuries”.

“After sending out press releases and starting to get media coverage, he still has not been arrested,” Syed said.

His organization also published a timeline of events related to the shooting. He said Mr. Dghoughi, who studied finance after emigrating from Morocco in 2013, went to a barbecue with his girlfriend at Converse, about 15 miles northeast of downtown San Antonio, the October 10.

He left around midnight and drove his girlfriend’s Audi home on his own in Maxwell, in the Austin metro area, then left around 3 a.m., according to Ring footage.

Mr Cherkaoui, the lawyer, said Mr Dghoughi’s girlfriend said he apparently wanted to “decompress, or was on his way home” and may have got lost.

Somehow, Mr. Dghoughi ended up at Mr. Turner’s house on Tina’s Trail in Martindale, a seven- to 10-minute ride, according to the schedule provided by CAIR.

According to the affidavit, Mr. Turner told authorities he woke up to use the bathroom, walked through the living room and hall and saw a vehicle in the driveway with its lights off.

He retrieved his handgun from his bedroom and left, according to the affidavit. The car’s headlights then came on, the driver backed into the driveway, and Mr. Turner “chased him,” the document said. At the end of the driveway, Mr. Turner hit the driver’s side window with his handgun and then fired, “hitting the victim,” the affidavit reads.

Mr. Turner called 911. “I just killed a guy,” he told the dispatcher, according to the affidavit. “I tried to shoot a gun at me. I shot, “he said, adding:” He started to walk away and I ran after him. He pointed a gun at me and I fired.

At around 4 a.m., deputies drove to the house and found a man, who was later identified as Mr. Dghoughi, with a gunshot wound to the head, sitting in the car, according to the affidavit. He was taken to hospital for “life-saving procedures which ultimately failed,” he said.

Comments are closed.