Transplantation for an Afghan boy poisoned with mushrooms; brother in coma

Doctors at Poland’s main children’s hospital announce they will perform a liver transplant on a 6-year-old Afghan boy who ate poisonous mushrooms with his family

WARSAW, Poland – Doctors at Poland’s main children’s hospital are considering performing a liver transplant on a 6-year-old Afghan boy who ate highly toxic mushrooms with his family, but they said on Tuesday that his 5-year-old brother was in a coma and near death.

The boys and their older sister, recently evacuated from Afghanistan, were hospitalized last week. The family picked and ate highly poisonous mortuary mushrooms in the forest near the refugee center where they were staying in Podkowa Lesna, near Warsaw.

Doctors from the Center for Children’s Health Institute said the older brother was due for a transplant on Tuesday. He remains in a life-threatening condition. The younger brother undergoes tests to see if he is brain dead. Their 17-year-old sister is in stable condition in hospital, as are other family members, who have been hospitalized elsewhere.

Poland evacuated the family at Britain’s request after the Taliban took over Afghanistan. The father had worked for the British in Afghanistan.

In a separate incident at a different center near Warsaw, four Afghan men were hospitalized after eating poisonous mushrooms, according to the National Office for Foreigners. One of them got better and was released from the hospital.

Mortuary mushrooms, among the most poisonous in the world, closely resemble the popular edible parasol mushroom from Poland.

———

Follow all AP stories on global migration at https://apnews.com/hub/migration.

Comments are closed.