UCLA graduate dies of carbon monoxide poisoning in Guadalajara Airbnb

A UCLA grad was found dead in an Airbnb in Guadalajara, Mexico in December 2021, which the short-term rental accommodation platform tried to cover up.

Courtesy of the Saucedo Hernandez family

Daisy Saucedo, a recent graduate of the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), lost her life on December 20, 2021 during a Christmas vacation at Torre Mexico Villas de San due to carbon monoxide poisoning while bathing . Daisy was enrolled at Loyola Marymount University for a graduate degree at the time of her death.

She is the fourth American to die of carbon monoxide poisoning last year.

Kandace Florence, 28, of Virginia Beach, Jordan Marshall, 28, and Courtez Hall, 29, of New Orleans were found dead Oct. 30 inside the Airbnb house they rented in Cuajimalpa de Morelos, and Angélica Arce, 29, was also found dead October 30in an Airbnb, while visiting Mexico City for the Mexican Grand Prix.

Daisy’s family (Courtesy of the Saucedo family)

A court case filed in California Superior Court by her parents says “Her lifeless body was discovered face down in the shower with the water still running by her fiancé David Alejandro Leon Plafox around 3:00 p.m. after he had to break down the front door to access the unit.

On October 23, 2021, Daisy booked a stay at Torre Mexico Villas de San Javier from December 8, 2021 through January 8, 2022. On December 20, 2022, the day of her death, deadly carbon monoxide gases entered and engulfed the Airbnb. .

According to the lawsuit, “Daisy’s body was found naked, face down in the shower with running water.”

Daisy, a beautiful, driven and incredibly bright recent UCLA graduate, loved teaching part-time and dreamed of teaching English in Mexico with her fiancé David who lived in Guadalajara, Mexico, whom she would visit 3 to 4 times a year since 2020 She would rent the Airbnb near her workplace to stay in during her visit.

John Harris of law firm Harris & Hayden says, “Airbnb glorifies homes for international travel by making them a main attraction on its website, highlighting bathrooms and other amenities.

Her fiancé David arrived home for lunch and could smell the fumes billowing from the unit. Once inside, he found Daisy’s lifeless body in the shower and immediately began performing CPR on her, but his efforts were unsuccessful.

Shortly after paramedics arrived, they continued to administer lifesaving measures which failed. Daisy was pronounced dead by the local coroner shortly thereafter.

Daisy’s father has been making weekly visits to her grave since her untimely passing. (Courtesy of the Saucedo family)

Daisy’s death certificate states that she suffered carbon monoxide poisoning and asphyxiation resulting in her tragic death.

The family is seeking $35 million in damages.

Mexican law does not require apartments to have carbon monoxide detectors in their units, so it is IMPERATIVE that if you plan to stay at an Airbnb while in Mexico, you MUST purchase a portable carbon monoxide detector for your own safety.

In fact, you should buy the detector not just for an Airbnb, but for ANY vacation rental you’re staying at.

You can buy carbon monoxide detectors here.

Comments are closed.