3 friends vacationing in Mexico City were found dead in an Airbnb due to carbon monoxide poisoning, officials say

The woman and two men – identified as Kandace Florence and Jordan Marshall, both 28 and 33, Courtez Hall – were discovered inside the La Rosita rental property in Mexico City last month, October 30.

Friends went there to celebrate Dia De Los Muertos, or Day of the Dead, WTKR reported.

Florence’s boyfriend, Victor Day, told PEOPLE that while she was out, she texted him saying she was “tired”, later adding that she felt drugged. “I literally hurt,” Day recalled saying, according to the outlet. “I’m like, shaking.”

He said when Florence returned to Airbnb, she called him on Facetime and was throwing up and crying, according to the report. Day finally fell asleep, and when he texted her the next day and got no response, he decided to contact the Airbnb host.

PEOPLE reported that when apartment complex security guards arrived on the scene, they found the trio “unresponsive with no vital signs”.

Security also reported to police the smell of gas inside the residence, ABC News reported. During their investigation, officials learned that a “failure” of the gas boiler had triggered the release of carbon monoxide, the attorney general’s office told the outlet.

“This is a terrible tragedy, and our hearts go out to the families and loved ones coping with this heavy loss,” Airbnb told ABC News in a statement. “Our priority now is to provide support to those affected while authorities investigate what happened, and we are available to cooperate with the investigation in any way we can.”

The Attorney General’s office is investigating the deaths with the US State Department, which is monitoring developments, according to CNN.

Both Marshall and Hall were teachers, and Florence owned a candle business called “Glo Through It,” their families told the outlet.

Comments are closed.