Burger King apologizes after serving vegan chicken nugget

A vegan felt ‘sick’ after biting into a chicken nugget she initially thought was vegan.

Bournemouth resident Lianna Hutchins placed a £45 order for her family at Burger King in Castle Lane East on Friday October 14.

Miss Hutchins said she had been a vegetarian all her life and had been a vegan for three years, but was left ‘almost in tears’ when she took a bite of a nugget she thought was vegan – but which was actually chicken.

Bournemouth Echo: Vegan nugget next to the chicken nuggetVegan nugget next to chicken nugget (Image: Lianna)

She said: “When I ate it and realized it made me sick. I was almost in tears. I also have health issues so I don’t want to put meat in my body.

“I noticed the smell and texture was definitely different from a vegan nugget.

“I chewed the nugget and thought it didn’t taste vegan. I couldn’t believe it; with Natasha’s Law, you’d think everyone would be trained and aware of food allergies.

Bournemouth Echo: Burger King at Castle Lane EastBurger King in Castle Lane East (Picture: Google Maps)

“I contacted the restaurant and the manager was very dismissive. He put me on the phone with the man who packed my order. He told me to go to the head office.

“We finally got a refund just on the chicken nuggets, which was £5, but they didn’t refund the rest of the meal. I couldn’t eat the rest of the meal, I felt sick.

Miss Hutchins said the same thing happened to her mum and dad in the 90s and they were given heavy compensation for it.

Bournemouth Echo: Lianna with her partnerLianna with her partner (Image: Lianna)

She added that the branch did not take what happened seriously and that her family meal, which saw relatives visit her home, was ‘ruined’ as she had to walk away and report it on the phone upstairs.

A Burger King spokesperson said: “Burger King UK recognizes the customer’s concern and apologizes for the impact this has caused.

“After further investigation, we believe that all appropriate measures have been taken and that there have been no signs of cross-contamination.

“We will contact the client to provide assistance and work to ensure that all necessary measures and staff training are reinforced.”

Comments are closed.