Doctors remove more than 50 piles from woman’s intestine and stomach

Irish doctors have performed a bizarre operation, removing more than 50 piles from a woman’s stomach.

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Getty Images/iStockphoto

The 66-year-old swallowed 55 AA and AAA batteries in an apparent act of deliberate self-harm.

She was treated at St. Vincent’s University Hospital in Dublin after ingesting a large number of cylinder batteries.

Irish Medical Journal
Irish Medical Journal

X-rays were taken showing that the batteries did not appear to be obstructing his gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Fortunately, neither battery showed signs of structural damage.


Doctors decided to start treatment by seeing if the piles would pass through the gastrointestinal tract on their own. After 1 week, the woman was able to pass five AA batteries, but nothing more. Over the next 3 weeks more X-rays were taken and they showed that the remaining piles were not progressing through her body and it was causing the woman abdominal pain.

.The doctors decided to perform a laparotomy. (A laparotomy is a surgical incision in the abdominal cavity.) Surgeons found that the weight of the piles pulled the stomach down to where it was stretched to the pubic bone. Surgeons cut a small hole in the stomach and removed 46 AA and AAA batteries from the organ.

Irish Medical Journal
Irish Medical Journal

Four additional batteries, stuck in the colon, were “processed” in the rectum and removed through the anus. (Milking: Procedure used to express the contents of a tube or conduit to obtain a sample or test tenderness.)

A final X-ray then confirmed that the woman’s gastrointestinal tract was officially battery-free.

Learn more here: Irish Medical Journal

What did you eat that wasn’t food?

After hearing this story, we talked about the times we accidentally swallowed something that wasn’t food. We posted the question on the Dyer & Michaels Facebook page, and here are the responses we received.

  • My daughter swallowed a quarter of it when she was 3 years old. I won a trip to the ER and an emergency endoscopy. It was a quarter of 15,000 between tests, ambulance rides between hospitals and surgery.
  • Snake Fireworks! I told my mom it was my sister’s candy. She left her purse on her bed at school, found them and ate them. My mouth was black for 2 days in a row. I had to drink milk all day for poison control.
  • The red nose of the game “operation”
  • I swallowed Mr. Potato Head’s hand!
  • Apparently not enough… I have 5 children.
  • Boneless children….mmmmm protein.
  • I’m sure I swallowed a crown in my sleep, one is missing.
  • On a very hot day, I grabbed a tall glass of what I thought was iced tea. I took a big sip only to find it was my friend’s chewing cup. The thought of that still makes me gag out loud.

Closeup of lots of colored AA batteries on a bright yellow background.

Getty Images/iStockphoto
  • My grandson chewed the paper off a straw and blew it through the straw. I was talking and he blew it into my open mouth! It went straight down the throat!
  • A June bug at 60mph on my Harley – I had to pull over.
  • Gun cleaner when I was little……I had to get my stomach pumped.
  • My daughter swallowed a toothpick. It was in her sandwich and she didn’t take it out.
  • As a child, I broke a mercury thermometer in my mouth. Mom had to rush me to the hospital because I spat out the glass but swallowed some of the mercury.
  • A screw! A big plus. My parents had to take me for x-rays for 3 days lol.
  • The gasoline that was in a beer can when I was 3 years old.

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Getty Images/iStockphoto
  • A frozen piece of cardboard that was stuck to a tombstone pizza. It was burnt to the crust, I didn’t notice until I ate the next piece.
  • I accidentally swallowed a guitar pick while holding it in my mouth.
  • I might just get the reward for the most rude…. And that’s true !!! A tootsie roll sandbox when I was 2 years old!!!
  • In first grade, I somehow managed a #2 pencil that was sharpened down to the metal collar and what was left of the eraser. Luckily, I had written enough with it to make it super sharp. Came out the other side the next day.
  • I swallowed an ice cube earlier today, but I didn’t poop it… I’m starting to worry.

You Can Literally Get High In This 420 Friendly Illinois Treehouse Airbnb

About two and a half hours from QC is an Airbnb treehouse that lets you smoke legal cannabis.

Comments are closed.