Malaysian tourists bruised and shaken after racist attack in Dublin

The horrific incident was chronicled in a Facebook post by former news anchor Norzie Pak Wan Chek which was picked up by media in Malaysia this week.

According to Norzie, the incident happened on Monday, December 5, when her niece, her niece’s friend, and their siblings were in town for some last-minute shopping before flying back to Malaysia the next day. .

Speaking to Malaysian news site, Norzie said the victims, who are all between the ages of 18 and 27, were waiting for a bus to take them back to their Airbnb rental around 8:15 p.m. that evening.

“That’s when they were mocked by a group of teenagers who started throwing an empty can at my niece and throwing dirty fries off the floor of a restaurant where they were waiting,” she recalls.

According to Norzie, other teenagers later joined the gang after the initial assault, as his niece and her friends headed for a bus station to avoid confrontation.

“The boys weren’t giving up. [They] quickly chased and circled around on their bikes, sometimes braking hard [at] my niece and the others to scare them. “I’m going to fucking kill you!” they threatened,” she added.

“Four boys took off their bike seatposts and started beating my niece [on] neck. My niece’s friend and brother quickly responded by protecting her, not once laying hands on the attackers as they were clearly outnumbered.”

Norzie said other assailants joined in and physically assaulted them, leaving bruises on their eyes and backs, and only stopped when the niece called gardai while one of them shouted for help.

She claims that after waiting for half an hour, they managed to get picked up by a passerby who took them to a Garda train station three minutes away.

“What happened to my loved ones that night should never happen to anyone,” Norzie said.

“[They were] traumatized and injured late at night on a weekend in a foreign country, so I decided to contact Wisma Putra (the Malaysian Foreign Minister) through my friend.

“Within minutes, the newly sworn in Foreign Minister, Datuk Seri Dr Zambry Abd Kadir contacted (my friend) to inform her that he had spoken to the Secretary General, Datuk Seri Amran Mohamed Zin, to take the necessary steps .

“The Minister also called me personally and promised that the four of them would be taken care of.”

Norzie said charge d’affaires, Puan Nadzira Abd Razak, and her colleagues arrived at Dublin Airport at 5 a.m. to provide medical and boarding assistance to the victims.

“They (the reps) then escorted my niece the two hour drive to Tipperary University Hospital in Clonmel, where she works, to get her the medical attention she needed,” Norzie added.

“They waited until everything was done, took her home, made sure she was okay, then came back.”

Presenters said she was amazed by the quick response she, her niece and friends received, as Zambry had yet to officially clock in as Foreign Secretary that Sunday evening.

“From the bottom of my heart, thank you sir. I now know that Wisma Putra is in good hands,” she concluded on the Facebook post.

Speaking to, Norzie claimed the Dublin gardai had told them it was not the first time the attackers had been “buat kacau” (were a nuisance).

“Due to the way local law protects minors and the fact that most of the victims have left Dublin, it is difficult for the police to pursue the case,”

“However, the charge d’affaires would speak with the police to ensure that such a case does not happen again in the future.”

Norzie revealed that upon arrival at Kuala Lumpur International Airport, her niece, nephew and friend received medical assistance before being taken to Serdang Hospital by ambulance.

“As I write, they are being treated by doctors,” she added. “I don’t even know where to begin to thank everyone who has helped me. I don’t think that’s possible.

“There were just too many of them who went above and beyond to help four people halfway around the world to feel safe and cared for.”

Comments are closed.