Stories and Locations of Every Blue Plate Building in Merseyside
This year we have had more than ever the opportunity to take long walks or discover the history of our region.
During the lockdown, we may have walked past buildings of historical significance without even knowing it, or we may have discovered buildings with blue plaques during our explorations.
Merseyside has many historic blue-plaque buildings, with plenty to find.
Famous musicians, politicians and influential architects once lived in Merseyside and their former home still stands today.
As the lockdown rules loosen up to stay home, to stay local, we take a look back at an article we published in 2020 with all the different locations so you can find them.
What are blue plaques?
The Blue Plate program began in London in 1866 and is considered the oldest of its kind in the world.
Liverpool was the second city after the capital to adopt the program and as a result has the highest number outside of London.
Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and updates from ECHO Liverpool by signing up here
The blue plaques then spread across the country and the program has been managed by English Heritage since 1986.
Fourteen blue plaques were erected and to celebrate those who have played a role in the history of the region, we toured their locations and uncovered the stories behind the famous inhabitants of the region.
2 Zig Zag Road, West Derby
Tucked away to the side of an otherwise normal West Derby house is a blue plaque dedicated to former MP Bessie Braddock.
The Labor MP lived at 2 Zig Zag Road, West Derby, between 1945 and 1975 when she was a Member of the Liverpool Exchange Division.
Braddock was a staunch campaigner for better housing, public health and other social issues.
During the war she worked in the Liverpool ambulance service before winning the seat in the 1945 general election.
171 Chatham Street, Georgian Quarter
171 Chatham Street in the Georgian Quarter was home to famous Liverpool architect Sir Charles Herbert Reilly who lived between 1874 and 1948.
Largely responsible for establishing the university education of architects and headed the Liverpool School of Architecture, which became world famous under his leadership. Reilly spent three years at 171 Chatham Street from 1922 to 1925.
Les Hollies, Station Road, Maghull
Another place where you will find a blue plaque is on Station Road in Maghull in the former home of Frank Hornby.
Hornby is best known as the inventor of Meccano, Horby Hobbies and Dinky Toys and he lived between 1863 and 1936.
He was also elected Tory MP for Everton in 1931.
He has lived in The Hollies, Station Road, Maghull for most of his life.
42 Hamilton Street, Birkenhead
Wirral also had several of its own blue plaques, one of which is located on Hamilton Street in Birkenhead.
The house is the former home of Sir Henry Tate, sugar merchant and philanthropist.
Beginning his life as an apprentice grocer, Tate then founded the Tate Gallery in London and for 10 years the gallery traded from his home in Birkenhead.
Keep up to date with local news in your area by adding your postal code below:
28 Ullet Road, Toxteth
The house on Ullet Road in Toxteth was the former home of successful engineer John Alexander Brodie.
He is credited with digging the net for football goals and building the Mersey Tunnel in 1934.
At the time, it was the longest underwater road tunnel in the world.
251 Menlove Avenue, Woolton
John Lennon, one of the most iconic figures in musical history, grew up at 251 Menlove Avenue in Woolton.
The Beatles co-founder spent almost 20 years living at the house, from 1945 to 1963.
Pennant House, Bebington
Pennant House in Bebington, Wirral, has a blue plaque marking it as the former home of Joseph Mayer, an antique dealer and collector.
Known for collecting gold and antiques, he lived at Pennant House between 1860 and 1886.
Mayer amassed a large collection of objects before opening his own museum on Colquitt Street in 1852.
19, place Abercromby
Noël Chavasse, doctor, athlete and army officer, was the only man to have received the Victoria Cross twice during the First World War. He also represented Great Britain at the 1908 Olympics.
He spent his life at 19 Abercromby Square between 1884 and 1917.
He died of injuries sustained during the Battle of Passchendaele in 1917.
40 Falkner Place, Toxteth
Falkner Square in Toxteth was home to 19th century architect Peter Ellis.
Ellis is credited with designing Oriel Chambers on Water Street and is celebrated with a plaque at his home at 40 Falkner Square.
He lived there for 80 years between 1804 and 1884.
18 village road, Oxton
Village Road in Oxton was home to town planner Sir Patrick Abercrombie between 1915 and 1935.
Abercrombie is known to have been a professor of civic design at the University of Liverpool.
He came to prominence in the 1930s and 1940s for his town planning of the cities of Plymouth, Hull, Bath, Edinburgh, Bournemouth and his radical plan to rebuild London after the war.
The Johnston Building
Part of the University of Liverpool, the Johnston building has a blue plaque dedicated to the work of Nobel Laureate Sir Ronald Ross.
Ross became the first Briton to receive the Nobel Prize in 1902 when he discovered that mosquitoes transmit malaria.
From 1857 to 1932 he worked at the Johnston Building. He was also professor and chairman of tropical medicine at the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine.
13 Beach Lawn, Waterloo
13 Beach Lawn in Waterloo was the home of 19th century shipbuilder Thomas Henry Ismay.
Ismay was the founder of the White Star Shipping Line, the company responsible for building the Titanic.
He spent his entire life at the house between 1837 and 1899.
Father-daughter social reformers William and Eleanor Rathbone lived at Greenbank House, on Greenbank Lane, from 1819 and 1872 until 1902 and 1946 respectively in the cottage which has since been bequeathed to the University of Liverpool.