Three Americans die at Mexico City Airbnb from carbon monoxide

Content of the article

Three U.S. citizens staying at an Airbnb in Mexico City have been found dead in their apartment from carbon monoxide poisoning, authorities said Tuesday.

Content of the article

Security officers at the apartment complex reported a strong smell of gas to police, who found the bodies of a woman and two men inside, the city attorney’s office said. They were discovered on October 30 in La Rosita, a neighborhood near Santa Fe, a wealthy neighborhood lined with corporate skyscrapers.

Content of the article

Their deaths come amid an increase in the number of Americans visiting and settling in Mexico, with the capital being their primary destination. Although an unusual occurrence, accidents and explosions have been reported in Mexico when the use of LPG and other gas sources to heat homes and water have led to leaks.

Read more: Americans moving to Mexico at record pace, up 85% from pre-pandemic

Airbnb said it was preparing a statement to respond to the incident.

We apologize, but this video failed to load.

According to industry data provider AirDNA, there are more than 19,000 short-term rentals in Mexico City, just over 90% of which are listed on Airbnb. first reported the deaths, saying one of the victims told her boyfriend on the phone that she was getting sick before being disconnected. The boyfriend called the Airbnb host to do a wellness check and authorities found the bodies, reported.

Two of the victims were from Virginia Beach and one from New Orleans, all three in their twenties.

Comments are closed.