Three Americans die of carbon monoxide poisoning in Mexico

Three American friends, two men and a woman, have been found dead in their Airbnb apartment in a town in Mexico. Authorities confirmed they died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

According to reports, Kandace Florence, Jordan Marshall and Courtez Hall were staying in a rental at a residential complex in La Rosita when they were found dead on October 30. All were in town for the Day of the Dead festivities.

Officials found an intense smell of gas in the apartment, following which they concluded that the three men had been poisoned by gas inhalation.

A spokesperson for the attorney general’s office told ABC News the smell came from an old gas boiler in the apartment, which gave off carbon monoxide, a colorless and odorless gas.

The spokesman said one of the victims was found in the shower, leading authorities to believe she may have activated the boiler.

Commenting on the tragedy, an Airbnb spokesperson told the outlet, “This is a terrible tragedy and our hearts go out to the families and loved ones coping with this heavy loss.”

“Our priority now is to provide support to those affected while authorities investigate what happened and we are available to cooperate with the investigation in any way we can.”

The US Embassy in Mexico said it was in contact with the families of those who died.

“We stand ready to provide all appropriate consular assistance,” he said in a statement earlier this week.

“Out of respect for the families’ privacy, we have nothing further to add at this time.”

The latest death comes a month after another American died of carbon monoxide poisoning while staying in a vacation rental in Mexico City.

(With agency contributions)

Comments are closed.