Woman victim of carjacking in Indianapolis shares her story

INDIANAPOLIS — A woman who was carjacked and shot at a gas station on Tuesday morning said she is grateful to be alive.

“Honestly, I was afraid no one would help me and I was going to bleed,” Nicole Harden said.

Harden was pumping gas just after midnight for his mother, who has to go to work early in the morning. She was finishing when two men, dressed all in black and wearing balaclavas, approached her.

“I went to get in my car and he hit me in the head with the gun,” Harden said.

Harden said she started bleeding profusely and asked her attackers if she could at least grab her one-year-old son’s belongings.

“He was like don’t give me my shit,” Harden recalled.

She said she was able to quickly grab her blood-soaked mobile phone and walked away to call the police.

“I was about to call 911 because I was scared,” Harden said. “Then they were about to stop and they stopped and the guy shot me.”

Harden was shot twice in the arm. She said her doctors believe one of the bullets may have hit a nerve that controls certain movements in her hand.

When one of the assailants whipped her with a pistol, it almost tore off part of her ear.

“They had to sew up the front of his ear and the back of his ear,” Harden’s sister Brittany said. “He was hanging on by an inch.”

Harden said police were able to recover his vehicle. She said it had been ransacked and many items were missing, including her wallet.

However, she said she was really, really upset with the brutality of her attackers.

“I don’t understand why they did that,” Harden said. “You already had my car. There was no need to do that.

Harden said she no longer felt safe in her neighborhood or her own home. She said she wanted others to be careful so they wouldn’t be victimized like she did.

“If you go anywhere at night, I’ll make sure you have someone with you and protection,” Harden said. “Because these people don’t care about you at all.”

Harden said a good Samaritan stopped and tried to help him before police showed up. She would like to find that person and thank her personally.

We have contacted IMPD for any updates on the case and are awaiting a response.

Comments are closed.