AFC Bournemouth unable to withstand Newcastle pressure

CHERRIES’ defensive game plan was undone as an Adam Smith own goal gave Newcastle United a 1-0 win, sending Eddie Howe’s side to the Carabao Cup quarter-finals.

Smith turned the ball into his own net as he scored former team-mate Callum Wilson under a looping cross from Kieran Trippier.

Both teams named strong squads to mark a return to competition after a six-week break.

Chris Mepham returned to the heart of the defense at the expense of Jack Stephens following a suspension and a trip to the World Cup.

Midfielders Jefferson Lerma and Marcus Tavernier were the other two changes to the side that beat Everton 3-0 in November, with Ryan Christie and Jaidon Anthony getting the starting places.

There has been just one change for the Magpies, with former Cherries striker Wilson replacing Chris Wood in the lead.

The opening rallies were stop-start thanks to John Brooks’ constant whistle for fouls on both sides.

England international Trippier attempted to catch Mark Travers from a free-kick, with the right-back making an effort inches from the top with everyone in the ground expecting a cross into the box packed with waiting players .

Kieffer Moore was unable to shape up on a tempting cross from Smith that hung in the air, but the towering striker created a chance for Christie soon after, his nod unable to properly put the Scottish in place.

Fabian Schar produced the game’s closest effort, his deflected drive from outside the box flying just past the far post.

St James erupted when Wilson seemingly gave the hosts the lead in the 26th minute. Some persistence from the striker saw him burst through, picking up the ball, before sending an effort into the far corner.

However, an eventual flag from the linesman saw the goal scored for offside, with the ball deemed to have bounced off a team-mate before falling on Wilson.

The Cherries survived another scare when Miguel Almiron missed an effort from close range, Marcos Senesi clearing the line to hold a clean sheet at the break.

The second half followed the same pattern as the opening 45 minutes, with Newcastle probing a well-drilled Cherries side looking to hit the hosts on the break.

Eventually, the home side managed to unblock their guests, with Trippier’s cross at the back post causing Cherries too many problems.

In the dangling ball chaos, Smith accidentally headed it past Travers, giving Newcastle what turned out to be the winner.

In an attempt to salvage something from the game, Gary O’Neil traded defender Senesi for Jamal Lowe.

It looked like there would be another own goal when a shot ricocheted off Mepham. Remarkably, Travers managed to stop his momentum enough to reach for the ball, pushing it towards the post.

Despite the attacking change, Cherries were unable to properly muster a response, with the final score line remaining 1-0 as the Magpies progressed to the last eight.

Cherries: Travers, Smith, Mepham, Senesi (Lowe, 85), Zemura, Cook, Billing, Christie (Stacey, 63), Anthony (Dembele, 77), Moore, Solanke

Unused Subs: Plain (g/k), Marcondes, Hill, Greenwood, Sadi, Adu-Adjei

Reserved: Cook

Newcastle: Pope, Trippier, Botman, Schar, Burn, Joelinton, Longstaff, Guimaraes (Shelvey, 88), Almiron (Murphy, 76), Willock (Saint-Maximin, 57) Wilson (Wood, 76)

Unused Subs: Darlow (g/k), Lascalles, Shelvey, Ritchie, Targett, Manquillo


Referee: John Brooks

Comments are closed.