Airbnb warns Eagles fans of third-party scams looking for Super Bowl accommodation options
As fans make travel accommodations for the big game, Airbnb warns fans to be on the lookout for third-party scams targeting travelers.
The company has released booking tips to help fans navigate their options in the Phoenix area.
According to Airbnb, most hotels near State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona are sold out, leaving many travelers with the option of renting homes.
Airbnb expects a “significant spike” in Phoenix-area bookings over the next few days from Philadelphia and Kansas City.
Scams that Airbnb ware warns about include people trying to trick travelers into booking on third-party websites unrelated to Airbnb while claiming to be operated by the company or designed to look like the official Airbnb site.
“These bad actors may offer deals that seem too good to be true and try to pressure customers to book quickly, then ask unsuspecting travelers to send money directly, such as via bank transfer , to book the reservation,” the company said.
To stay clear of scams targeting the Super Bowl, Eagles fans are urged to:
- Communicate and pay only on the Airbnb site, avoiding leaving the platform to send the payment
- Read property ratings and reviews
- Use Airbnb’s messaging tool to get your questions about hosts and properties answered
- Perform a security check of the property upon arrival
- Contact the host or Airbnb customer service if there is something wrong with the property