American woman texted her boyfriend that she felt ‘drugged’ before she died in Mexico City Airbnb
The boyfriend of a Virginia woman who was found dead with her two American friends at a Mexico City Airbnb last month has raised doubts about whether they died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
In a story published Wednesday night by El País, Victor Day, 30, revealed that his girlfriend Kandace Florence, 28, went to a bar in the Mexican capital with his high school friend Jordan Marshall, 28, and Courtez Hall, 33, and that in the early morning of October 30 received a series of disturbing messages from Florence who was feeling unwell.
Day remembers receiving the first message around 3 a.m. from his girlfriend, who had traveled to Mexico to participate in Day of the Dead festivities and was due to return home on November 1.
“I feel extremely tired. I do not feel good. Can’t wait to get home,” Florence wrote.
Day then asked, ‘What’s wrong? Everything is fine?’
Florence then replied: “I feel like I was drugged. As if I had taken ecstasy, but not.
Kandace Florence, from Virginia (pictured), texted her boyfriend Victor Day in the early morning of October 30 to say she felt like she had been ‘drugged’ after visiting a bar in Mexico. The 28-year-old was in the Mexican capital with her friends Jordan Marshall and Courtez Hall and was found dead hours later in their Airbnb rental. The Mexico City attorney general’s office told DailyMail.com this week that the victims died of carbon monoxide poisoning, but Day expressed doubts because there was a detector in the apartment.
Courtez Hall was one of three Americans found dead Oct. 30 at an Airbnb in Mexico City.
Jordan Marshall (pictured) died alongside Virginia high school friend Kandace Cameron and New Orleans pal Courtez Hall in Mexico City
Her worried boyfriend then asked if Marshall was around and if she was at the apartment or hanging out in town.
Florence wrote that they had just returned to the apartment, but she was literally in pain and pacing around the apartment. I’m shaking.’
Day told the newspaper that he and his girlfriend had been video chatting and the conversation was repeatedly cut off because she was vomiting.
He recalled that Florence was “shaking visibly” and asked her if she had left her drinks unattended while she was at the bar.
“Mexico is not a country where you can be negligent,” he warned. ‘It’s very dangerous.’
El País newspaper reported that Kandace Florence texted her boyfriend: “I feel like I was drugged. Like I took ecstasy, but I didn’t take it moments before he died in his Mexico City Airbnb on October 30
New Orleans history professor Courtez Hall will file a wrongful death lawsuit against Airbnb after the 33-year-old and two friends were found dead in a Mexico City apartment on October 30. The cause of death was ruled carbon monoxide poisoning.
Day and Florence ended the call to allow him to rest.
He composed later and Florence did not pick up.
“I thought maybe it was nothing,” Day said. “That she would throw up everything we gave her, that she would sleep, that we would speak again tomorrow morning and that she would tell me what happened.
This phone call never took place.
Day contacted Marshall and after failing to return his calls, he contacted the Airbnb host and asked him to do a health check on the group.
The apartment owner called Day 15 minutes later to inform him that all three had been found dead.
While the Mexico City attorney general’s office confirmed to DailyMail.com on Tuesday that Florence, Marshall and Hall “died of carbon monoxide poisoning,”
Day said Mexican authorities were slow to provide details on what exactly happened and only told the families that the incident was under investigation.
According to Day, the listing for the apartment, located in the Cuajimalpa de Morelos borough of Mexico City, included a carbon monoxide detector.
The Mexico City attorney general’s office said there was a strong smell of gas in the apartment.
But Day has his doubts about it.
“If the gas was the cause, how is it possible that the sensors didn’t trigger to alert them?” ” he said. “How is it possible that the security guards who found them weren’t poisoned as well?” And how could Kandace tell me she felt drugged long before she got home?