Families of Americans who died inside Airbnb announce legal action against company

NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) – Barely a month after three Americans died while staying at an Airbnb in Mexico City, their families are in New Orleans on Thursday morning to announce a lawsuit against the international homestay service.

On October 30, high school friends Jordan Marshall and Kandace Florence, as well as Marshall’s friend from New Orleans, Courtez Hall, were found dead in their high-rise Airbnb apartment while visiting Mexico for “Dia de Muertos», or Day of the Dead. It was later revealed that the three died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The victims’ parents were in New Orleans Monday with nationally known attorneys Michael Haggard and L. Chris Stewart, who represented the families of George Floyd and Ahmaud Arbery. In addition to accepting full responsibility for their children’s deaths, the families demanded that Airbnb mandate the installation of a carbon monoxide detector in every unit the company rents.

Thursday’s announcement was made from the steps of the JW Marriott hotel in downtown New Orleans. Watch the full video on our Youtube channel.

When the lawsuit was announced, Airbnb issued a statement:

“This is a terrible tragedy, and our hearts go out to the families and loved ones who mourn such an unimaginable loss. Our priority at this time is to support those affected as authorities investigate what happened, and we are ready to meet their demands as much as possible.”

The company also says it runs a global program that gives free smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to eligible hosts.

“We encourage all hosts to confirm that they have installed a smoke and carbon monoxide detector, and homes that claim to have a detector are clearly marked, so that this information is visible to guests,” added a door. -word. “Guests can also filter listings by homes that say they have them. If a guest books a listing where a host hasn’t yet reported detectors, we flag them so they know and can take action. precautionary measures as required.”

Comments are closed.