Hotel guests evacuated due to Christmas Eve kitchen fire

Guests booked into a seaside hotel for Christmas had to be evacuated after a fire broke out in the kitchen.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Services said 10 fire engines were called to the Headland Hotel in Torquay just after 10pm on Christmas Eve.

Four people were rescued from the hotel by firefighters using ladders.

A fire department spokesperson said: “This was a fire in the hotel kitchen, which was heavily smoked on the ground floor and first floor.

“There were at least eight rooms that still needed to be checked for occupants. Up to eight firefighters using breathing apparatus searched the remaining rooms.

By 1 a.m. it had been confirmed that everyone had been accounted for.

“The kitchen was 100% fire damaged and the dining room 100% smoke damaged,” the spokesperson added.

“The rest of the hotel was slightly damaged by smoke. All guests have been moved to other accommodation.

Comments are closed.