Mothers of Americans who died of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in Mexico Airbnb plan to sue

The mothers of three dead americans due to suspected carbon monoxide poisoning while staying in a Airbnb in Mexico City intend to sue the rental company.

Kandace Florence, Jordan Marshall, both 28, and Courtez Hall, 33, were found dead inside the vacation rental after visiting Mexico to celebrate Dia de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead in October.

For the first time since the death of their children, these mothers expressed themselves during an interview with BNC News Wednesday, saying Airbnb should require carbon monoxide detectors in all of its rentals.

According to autopsy reports, the deadly toxin is what killed the three friends. L. Chris Stewart, the Atlanta-based attorney for these distraught parents, said the cause was a faulty water heater.

The lawsuit, which has not yet been filed, demands that Airbnb install carbon monoxide detectors in all of its properties. Stewart told NBC that the rental company had previously been sued over the same issue.

According to the attorney, Airbnb already regulates guns and parties, so adding detectors is a no-brainer. “It’s always a question of money. They only talk about money, that’s why this lawsuit is coming,” he said.

Airbnb told NBC that Mexico City property has been suspended and has spoken with the US Embassy in Mexico.

“This is a terrible tragedy, and our hearts go out to the families and loved ones who mourn such an unimaginable loss,” the company said. “Our priority at this time is to support those affected as authorities investigate what happened, and we stand ready to assist them with their investigations however we can.”

Airbnb also said it already provides smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to all qualified hosts and has distributed more than 200,000.

However, this offers little comfort to these grieving mothers.

“We will never be able to get our babies back. But we really want to make sure no other family has to deal with this,” said Jennifer Marshall, mother of Jordan Marshall. “The way we lost our children, I mean, it’s devastating. You go from grief to rage because it could have been so easily avoided.

Comments are closed.