“This boat beats them all” – Baltimore Sun

It’s an Airbnb. It is a popular charter boat for Kent Island. He’s a floating pop culture icon.

It’s the yacht that actor Rodney Dangerfield crashes in the cult movie “Caddyshack,” and it can be yours for just $349,900.

The Seafood, as the boat was named for the 1980 film, has been moored in Stevensville since 2017. It is owned by Chesapeake Bay Sport Fishing and is available for charters and as a stationary Airbnb, with an average of 4.72 stars.

Joe Longobardi, a broker for United Yacht Sales, made million-dollar deals and sold boats to celebrities during his long career in Florida and Maryland, but never posted an ad like this -this. “I think this boat beats them all because of notoriety,” Longobardi said.

Built in 1979 by the now defunct Australian company Striker, the Seafood is a 60-foot long “motor yacht” with two 675 horsepower diesel engines. Striker’s owner arranged for the boat to appear in the film, cruising around Biscayne Bay with Dangerfield character Al Czervik at the helm. In the iconic boating crash scene, Judge Elihu Smails, played by Ted Knight, the haughty president of an exclusive country club, attempts to christen his sailboat, The Flying Wasp.

As the champagne crashes against the bowsprit, the seafood hurtles towards the flying wasp. Dangerfield attempts to reverse and drops his anchor through the sailboat’s skylight.

“Hey, you scratched my anchor!” Dangerfield shouts at his nemesis, delivering one of the film’s most famous lines.

“Caddyshack” marked Harold Ramis’ film debut as a screenwriter and director. His future projects would include “Groundhog Day” and “Ghostbusters”. The film also starred Chevy Chase as a golf pro and a young Bill Murray – then performing on “Saturday Night Live” – in his breakout film role as Carl Spackler, a golf course keeper. golf that declares war on an animatronic gopher.

It’s a “classic comedy of slobs versus snobs,” said Chicago Tribune film critic Michael Phillips, wrote about the film when publishing the book “Caddyshack: The Making of a Hollywood Cinderella Story” Four years ago.

After filming, the Seafood began a second career as a charter fishing boat in Florida, the Dominican Republic and the Gulf of Mexico.

But as the boat headed for a marina in Pasadena, “it was floating,” but not much else, a Chesapeake Bay Sport Fishing spokesperson said. The company bought the boat in 2017 and gave her a complete overhaul, including plumbing and electrical equipment on board. At the time, the listing price was $129,000.

“They did a good job fixing it,” Longobardi said.

Now, 99% of people who book seafood on Airbnb come for the “Caddyshack” connection, according to Chesapeake Bay Sport Fishing. The other 1% are looking for a place to stay on the Isle of Kent and somehow stumble upon the famous yacht.

Below deck, guests find a captain’s cabin, a twin cabin and a dormitory, each with a private head. Kitschy details abound, including a “Bush Wood Country Club” flag, a signed Dangerfield photo, and a life-size cardboard Bill Murray behind the bar. And of course, as Chase, Dangerfield and all their pals have demonstrated, there’s plenty of room on deck to throw a party.

“If you are a Caddyshack fan, this is a must!” an Airbnb guest wrote about her stay in June. A bride who booked the Seafood for her wedding in July praised the Seafood for providing “a really fun experience with beautiful scenery that added to our memorable day”.

The morning sun

The morning sun


Get your morning news delivered to your email inbox. Get all the best news and sports from baltimoresun.com.

A more recent guest only offered a four star review due to “a strong smell on the boat which we found offensive. Other than that we had a great time. »

Longobardi said he suspects the smell is something a plug of bleach in the drain will fix.

“It’s a common problem on boats,” he said.

Although the Seafood is still equipped and ready to go catch rockfish in the bay, Longobardi said the ideal boat owner will continue on its current trajectory.

“She will do a great job as a charter boat for sunset boat cruises,” Longobardi said.

According to the yacht salesman, the boats have a legacy, and the seafood comes with the legacy of the Biscayne Bay party that “Caddyshack” fans will never forget, and the blue and white boat that is become an unlikely star either.

“Boats have a soul,” Longobardi said. “They really do.”

Comments are closed.