Three tourists have died of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at an Airbnb. How can you stay safe?

Three American tourists died in October while staying at an Airbnb in Mexico Cityapparently carbon monoxide poisoning.

Now their family members are urging the short term rental company to require detectors in properties to prevent future tragedies.

“We want to put pressure Airbnb regulate and mandate carbon monoxide detectors in the future,” says Jennifer Marshall, whose son, Jordan Marshall, was one of the victims. “It’s the only way we could think of to honor our children.”

A wrongful death court case is also slated against Airbnb and others in the aftermath of the incident, according to attorney L. Chris Stewart of Atlanta-based Stewart Miller Simmons Trial Attorneys.

“We’re asking Airbnb to require all of their listings to have sensors,” he says.

“They created international and national bans on parties, on the weapons, on the cameras. They could also easily impose carbon monoxide detectors,” he continues. “They know they killed people in their rentals. We know of at least three other cases.

However, adds Stewart, they are awaiting information from investigators of Mexico determine “all defendants” before filing suit.

Who were the victims of the alleged carbon monoxide poisoning?

The three travelers who died on October 30 were Kandace Florence, 28, of Virginia Beach, Virginia; his longtime friend, Jordan Marshall, 28, also from Virginia Beach but teaching in New Orleans; and Courtez Hall, 33, of New Orleanswho also taught in the city.

They visited the country to The day of the Dead and were staying in the vacation rental in an upscale Mexico City neighborhood.

According to the reports, Florence contacted her boyfriend in the United States to tell him that she was feeling sick, and he contacted his Airbnb host to go see them. Authorities later found the three dead.

In a statement, Airbnb said it has suspended registration and canceled future bookings pending an investigation into the incident.

“It’s a horror the tragedy and our hearts go out to the families and loved ones who mourn such an unimaginable loss. Our priority at this time is to support those affected as authorities investigate what happened, and we stand ready to respond to their requests however we can,” the company said.

What does Airbnb do to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning?

Airbnb says it has yet to confirm that carbon monoxide exposure was responsible for the death. However, the company notes that it runs a global program providing free smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to guests, of which more than 200,000 have been ordered to date.

Airbnb says it is also working with Mexican officials to promote security practices among hosts and is updating its detection program to expedite shipments into the country.

He adds that the site allows potential guests to filter their searches for hosts who claim to have detectors and flags all reservations where there are none.

Why is carbon monoxide dangerous?

Carbon monoxide cannot be seen, tasted, touched or heard making it difficult to detect the poison gas without using a device.

Symptoms of poisoning include headache, dizziness, shortness of breath, nausea, fatigue, confusion, and unconsciousness. However, many sufferers don’t recognize the symptoms until it’s too late.

Common sources of carbon monoxide are gas ovensboilers, furnaces and fireplaces.

How do you stay safe in a short-term vacation rental?

Jennifer Marshall says she hopes the death of her son and his friends will be a cautionary tale for other travellers.

“We want people to rethink the way they vacation,” says Marshall. “Even if we cannot get any action from Airbnb, which would be disappointing, we hope this will raise awareness. While we can’t rely on companies to put their customers’ safety first, we need to make sure we do it for ourselves. »

Freida Florence, Kandace’s mother, says shedding light on Airbnb’s “shortcomings” is a priority.

“We are asking people to take precautions,” she says. “They don’t oblige or require their hosts to guarantee a carbon monoxide detector, and they should. It could really save lives. We don’t want other families live what we have lived.

Florence is also calling on people to urge lawmakers to help fix the problem. “Our companies know better and should do better,” she says.

When searching for a property on Airbnb, you can select “Carbon Monoxide Alarm” under the “Security” filters.

To test the correct operation of the detector, check that the light is on and press and hold the test button on the alarm until beeps sound.

Many detectors beep when they run out of battery, but Battery should be changed every six months as a precaution.

Comments are closed.