Inside Chinese takeaways closed immediately due to health risk
Shocking photos show inside a Chinese restaurant which was forced to close immediately as it posed an ‘imminent health risk’.
Kensington Takeaway in Liverpool was fined £6,000 and ordered to close when environmental health officers discovered an infestation of mice and inadequate pest control measures in August 2021.
There was mouse droppings all over the premises, including on food preparation equipment and food packaging.
Liverpool City Council said there was a lack of regular and effective cleaning protocols, resulting in a buildup of food debris and grease, with several uncovered holes which gave access to rodents.
Kensington Takeaway manager Mr Keihan Nikseresht Somehsaraei admitted 20 breaches of food safety hygiene rules at Liverpool Magistrates’ Court on December 22.
He was fined £5,200, plus costs of £750 and a victim fine surcharge of £190.
The restaurant had been forced to close immediately after an inspection due to an “imminent health risk”.
Mice are known carriers of zoonoses (diseases transmitted from animals to humans), including; Salmonella, Campylobacter and Listeria and Hantavirus which can cause serious illness, especially in vulnerable people such as children, the elderly, immunocompromised people and pregnant women.
After the forced closure order, repair work was undertaken and the take-out was allowed to reopen.
But another inspection took place in March last year and mouse droppings were again evident,
The council said regular cleaning was not taking place and there were still gaps and holes serving as entry points for mice.
The premises were again closed to the public for the time of improvement works and reopened in April after a new expertise.
Kensington Takeaway is no longer operational. The premises are now under the management of a new food business operator.
At sentencing, District Judge Boswell said the conditions posed a serious risk to the client’s health and that “common sense tells you the premises were unacceptable”.
Following the case, Liverpool Mayor Joanne Anderson said: ‘This case shows a shocking disregard for people’s health and the terrible state of takeaways could have made many customers extremely ill.
“It’s a significant fine that shows how seriously we take these kinds of infractions. It is unacceptable to operate a business in this manner and we simply will not tolerate it.
She added: ‘This case sends a strong message to grocery stores across the city – don’t be complacent. Our team don’t just make ad-hoc visits, they will return to inspect all premises to check that the proper standards are being maintained, and if this is not the case, action will be taken.