Polish man sentenced to 25 years in prison for murdering and eating pieces of unidentified man in 2002
The Pole was sentenced to 25 years in prison for murder and cannibalism in 2002, although the victim was never identified and his body was never found.
The defendant, named only Robert M., acted with four others in the abduction of an unidentified man after an argument in a bar in the village of Lasko, the court heard.
At the instigation of Robert M., one of the men killed the captive, and then all five sealed the pact of silence by cannibalizing the body.
The court in Szczecin decided to believe the testimony of co-defendant Robert M. Rafał O. after the police tapped his phones and apartment to hear him telling friends and neighbors about the crime.
A court in Szczecin (pictured), in north-western Poland, decided to believe the testimony of co-defendant Robert M. Rafał O. after police tapped his phones and apartment to hear him tell friends and neighbors about the crime.
Four men were arrested in 2017, but the murder suspect, Zbigniew B., died of natural causes a few months before the arrests.
According to Rafał O., it was Zbigniew B. who slit the man’s throat at the behest of Robert M.
The victim’s body was then taken to the lake and parts of his body were cut off.
Robert then built a fire, cooked the victim’s body, and ordered the others to eat it as part of a “pact” to keep them quiet.
The crime remained a secret until 2017, when the police received anonymous information that Zbigniew had confessed to the crime before his death.
The police received a secret letter signed by Zbigniew B., who had been dead for several months, in which he described the murder and cannibalism.
Although there was no evidence, the prosecution considered the letter genuine and launched an investigation.
The police then tapped the phones of the people mentioned in the letter, in which they overheard Rafał O. talking about the murder.
However, at trial, lawyers argued that he was mentally ill and an alcoholic, and his testimony could not be trusted.
Judge Tomasz Banaś, however, found that despite “certain inaccuracies” regarding the events from 20 years ago, his testimony is credible.
The judge also said that the defendants had been “overheard by the police” regarding the crime and decided to sentence Robert M.
The other three men, Sylwester B., Rafał O. and Janusz S., were acquitted due to the statute of limitations.
On Monday, only the main instigator, Robert M.
Before entering the court, Robert M. was optimistic, going inside he told reporters: “I am waiting for this case to be dropped, it should never have been allowed.”
However, he was stunned to discover that the judges had adopted the narrative of one of his co-defendants.
His lawyers said they would appeal the verdict, claiming that Robert M. was sentenced to the word “mentally ill alcoholic.”
Comments are closed.