Victoria stabbing victim identified by family

Friends and family identified John Dickinson, 30, as the victim of a fatal stabbing in downtown Victoria early Tuesday morning.

Police were called to the 500 block of Yates Street near Lucky Bar around 1:30 a.m. for information about the stabbings on Tuesday.

Upon arrival, police found a man with serious stab wounds. First responders attempted first aid and he was taken to hospital, where he later died from his injuries.

“He wasn’t really the type of guy to fight or anything like that,” said Jeff – a friend and business partner of Dickinson – who asked that his last name be withheld.

“He was an angel, like he was the nicest guy,” Jeff said. “He would give you the shirt he had on his back.”

A GoFundMe campaign has now been created by Dickinson’s sister with the goal of raising $5,000. The fundraiser aims to pay funeral expenses and bring Dickinson home to his mother, who lives in Ontario.

“My mom literally has me and my brother. She doesn’t have anyone else, so now it’s just me,” said Jasmine Bauer, the victim’s sister.

Bauer describes his little brother as a fun-loving adventurer whose smile can light up a room.

“The world is a little darker without his spirit,” she said. “I think if you asked anyone who knew him, they would say the same thing.”


The man police suspect of killing Dickinson was arrested at an Airbnb in Vic West early Tuesday morning, shortly after the stabbing was reported.

“Our suspect who we arrested shortly after the incident has not been charged in connection with this homicide,” said VicPD Const. RAdm MacIntyre Wednesday.

“He’s our suspect, he’s the one we arrested in connection with this homicide,” he said.

On Wednesday, the defendant faced a judge, but not in connection with Dickinson’s death. Instead, it was in relation to a prior crime.

β€œHe will be before a judge for a breach of a release order related to a separate case,” MacIntyre said.

There is a publication ban in place that prevents CTV News from reporting the man’s name or the prior crime he is accused of committing.

The man has been in custody since Wednesday.

“(Dickinson) wasn’t the kind of guy to stay and fight in the bar,” Jeff said. “He was the kind of guy who, if you stepped on his shoe, would say, ‘Oh, don’t worry bro, I’ll buy you a drink.'”

Comments are closed.